Was this a bad deal?

Its Just Us Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Mississippi
I was wanting more chickens, and not real particular about the breed. Really, I just thought it would be nice to have some easter eggers of some sort. TO have pretty eggs.
big_smile.png

I called about an add in the paper advertising all sorts of breeds. The man listed off several breeds he had. I asked him about easter eggers and he said that he had some aracaunas. Cool beans! I went to his house this morning to get them and discovered he keeps them all together in one pen, and they're mixed breeds. But he did say they lay all different color eggs, he just couldn't guarantee what color I'll get.
Dh fussed at me for buying mutts. I got 7 1mo olds and 3 guinea keets for $27. Do you think that was a bad deal?

Well good.
smile.png
I didn't think it was too bad. But dh thought that was a lot for a mixed breed. His mama had fits too. She said back when her mom raised chickens she never paid over $0.03 a piece for them. LOL That must have been a long time ago, bless her. She thought I shouldn't have paid more than $1 ea for the guineas.

I think you got a decent deal there. Here by me in Cali, 7 to 8 week old *anythings* (purebred or mutt) go for about 3 to five bucks each, regardless of breed. As the weeks go by, the price goes up till you have laying hens, then at that age they go from $20 and up.

Quote:
Sounds like me, I like my Mutts, the variable egg colors, and the mixed in guineas for bug patrol.

Quote:
Does he realize that Easter Eggers ARE mutts?

PS: I think it was a good deal.
smile.png

LOL, yes he does. He just doesn't think you should have to pay $3 for a mutt for some reason. He was expecting something purebred for that price. I think he doesn't realize just how much chickens cost. All the chickens we've gotten so far were given to us, so this was our first time buying them.

Back
Top Bottom