Was this weasel or what?PHOTOS BIRD AFTER ATTACK DaytimeJustBeforeDarK

Assuming Woodmort is correct which I find highly likely, cat food as bait in a live trap placed near access point to coop for perpetrator will yeild tonight if it has not already been by.

Quote:
I wasn't saying it was a weasel just that it could be and yes flock mates have been known to pluck, however normally the OP would have noticed such an occurrence before.

As for a nasty weasel smell, you might also want to note that an old male raccoon also is likely to leave a rather nasty smell.

Basically you have a picture without any prior history to the death.

Male racoons and weasels do smell very different, even to my nose. Weasel is musky like skunk while racoon other smells a like a wet dog that has not licked his bottom enough lately.

Last edited:
No better bait than the carcass of the killed bird. To me it does not look like a weasel kill. Actually, it looks more like death by "flockmates".

You should note that your nose isn't in play here and we have no odor report from Tootsie, so we don't know if there was even an odor.

Maybe Tootsie can answer that question.

Quote:
If you haven't disposed of the body, use part of it for bait. Also coons will--I am told--respond to marshmallows.

Quote:
If you haven't disposed of the body, use part of it for bait. Also coons will--I am told--respond to marshmallows.

Cat food, grape jelly, and molasses as well.

Yes, could be a skunk. One is outside my lab right now digging for June beetle grubs. Does it every night. Skunk does not have predatory skills of weasel when hunting chicken.

Might rotting carcass bring in other predators / scavengers not responsible for killing and get them interested in the taste of chicken. I make an effort to dispose of dead birds well away from my yard for just that reason.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom