Watery Discharge with Catfood in it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I know catfood is very bad for chickens to eat, but I have a hard time keeping my chickens out of it. I try to put it up out of their reach, high on the woodpile, but sometimes I forget.

This morning I saw one of my young hens, 22 1/2 weeks old, go to the bathroom. The discharge was watery with about 5 or 6 pieces of undigested catfood coming out.

Her energy seems good, her appetite is good, and she has been playing all day. She laid a beautiful egg this morning, hard-shelled and pretty.

Do you think I should be worried? What could have caused her problem? Maybe just overindulging in the catfood?

I saw some of her poo later on and it was more solid and normal looking.

I was worried about the wateriness and the undigested state of the discharge. What do you think caused that?

2. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I thought it was from going to the bathroom, but now I wonder whether maybe she could have vomited up some catfood after drinking too much water? She was near the water bowl... I thought it had come out of her rear end, but now I'm thinking maybe it was vomit? That would be a better scenario, I would think? Maybe she just overrate and/or overdrank, and vomited before it had had time to digest.

Always something new and weird to worry about. I'm not cut out for this. :>)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by