Watery eye and some sneezing

lhines08

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Pennsylvania
Have a hen thaf has a odd looking eye that just started today. Watering with maybe a few bubbles.
Have heard a few sneezes but they are not loud or squeak like the sneezes I hear on YouTube. No nasal discharge.
The whole flock had been shaking head more often then normal.
No signs of lice or mites.

Any thoughts??

Attachments

• 20210304_172913.jpg
    20210304_172913.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210304_173048.jpg
    20210304_173048.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 4
yes, they could probably all use some Oxytetracycline in the drinking water. You probably would need a vet to write you a scrip. It sounds like CRD (chronic respiratory disease). Not fatal, and not necessarily chronic, either, but it does need to be treated.

yes, they could probably all use some Oxytetracycline in the drinking water. You probably would need a vet to write you a scrip. It sounds like CRD (chronic respiratory disease). Not fatal, and not necessarily chronic, either, but it does need to be treated.
Can we eat the eggs while they are sick? Waiting for vet to call me back...
What is the withdrawl period with the oxytetracycline ?

Last edited:
This is how my girls started and they have mycoplasma gallisepticum. I'm treating 3x daily with tylan 200. 0m06ml per pound of bird for 5 days. I'm giving mine orally. 1 day withdrawal after the last dose. Warning, it could get bad if its MG. Mine are wheezing, eyes swelling shut, tons of discharge from the eyes, nose, and mouth. But they're improving. I'm having to hand feed and water some girls who wont eat or drink. If its mycoplasma gallisepticum you will not be able to get any more chickens or sell yours until these ones are gone. Some choose to cull the flock and start over. They will be infected for life.

Edited this comment to make it make more sense that I'm talking about MY experience

Last edited:
There are a number of respiratory diseases in chickens, and this could be mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. It causes conjunctivitis and sinus infection. Testing by the state vet or a private lab called RAL, could give you a diagnosis. Tylosin, available online from Jedds.com can be put in the water of any with symptoms, and you can treat for 3-5 days at 1 tsp per gallon of water. Most other antibiotics that treat animals are not available in feed stores. You can buy injectible oxytetracycline (LA200 or other brands) for cattle, but the dosage is just a guess. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

There are a number of respiratory diseases in chickens, and this could be mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. It causes conjunctivitis and sinus infection. Testing by the state vet or a private lab called RAL, could give you a diagnosis. Tylosin, available online from Jedds.com can be put in the water of any with symptoms, and you can treat for 3-5 days at 1 tsp per gallon of water. Most other antibiotics that treat animals are not available in feed stores. You can buy injectible oxytetracycline (LA200 or other brands) for cattle, but the dosage is just a guess. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
I didnt know tylan was hard to find. My local tractor supply sells it. I suggest trying to see if tractor supply has it first before doing the water one. My girls are not drinking nearly enough and would not be improving if the only antibiotic was in the water. I'm having to hand feed a few of them and give them water through a syring.

This is how my girls started and its mycoplasma gallisepticum. I'm treating 3x daily with tylan 200. 0m06ml per pound of bird for 5 days. I'm giving mine orally. 1 day withdrawal after the last dose. Warning, it will get bad. Mine are wheezing, eyes swelling shut, tons of discharge from the eyes, nose, and mouth. But they're improving. I'm having to hand feed and water some girls who wont eat or drink. If its mycoplasma gallisepticum you will not be able to get any more chickens or sell yours until these ones are gone. Some choose to cull the flock and start over. They will be infected for life.
Oh really you know this for sure? Because CRD has the same symptoms.

Oh really you know this for sure? Because CRD has the same symptoms.
I dont know this for sure, was just stating that it sounds like what I'm dealing with. But when I look up CRD in chickens it says it occurs with chickens who are infected with mycoplasma so I guess it's the same thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210305-173818_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210305-173818_Samsung Internet.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 3
I dont know this for sure, was just stating that it sounds like what I'm dealing with. But when I look up CRD in chickens it says it occurs with chickens who are infected with mycoplasma so I guess it's the same thing.. All I'm saying is, CRD in our flock has been treated successfully with Oxytet. And MG responds to Denagard. Choose your poison, whatever works for you.
yes,, I've read that. But whatever. Oxytet works wonders for respiratory issues. Which, if you read further, you'll see that it's one medication that's been recommended. Tylan is way overused imo. Choose your poison. Denagard works for MG, also.. But in a case like the OP's, I'd start with Oxytet. Not everyone has the resources to use State vet testing, etc.We're talking about a small backyard flock, not a breeding or commercial operation. And since the OP chose to contact their vet perhaps that's the person to make the final determination.

Also, just because one person has a bad experience where they had worsening symptoms, it does not mean that every flock will have the same experience. It just depends on a lot of different factors.

It's true that it could be one of a few different things causing these symptoms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom