Watery white liquid

AikoGami

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
My roster is now 3 months and it's getting up to mid 90s-100 F where I'm located. Just yesterday I noticed that he pooped diarrhea like and now he's pooping out this white liquid. I have also noticed his comb and wattle seem to have a sort of yellowish orange fade and that he sits down a lot more than usual. He's been eating, drinking, crowing(although today was an hour late), and eating snacks normally as far as I know. Is it because of the heat? Too much water? Is this nothing to worry about??
To help prevent them from getting too hot, I give them water with ice and cold snacks, as well as put up shade and water the place up and place them indoors for a bit when the heat goes over 100F. My hen, 3 months, is acting, eating, drinking and pooping normally.
20210616_100206.jpg
20210616_100213.jpg

Last edited:
If there are green bits in the white, that's from bile and indicates he's not eating enough.

I'm going to tag some more knowledgeable people, but please give us more information.

What do you feed your chickens, including all treats?
Have you checked for lice, mites, or worms? Or any injuries/sores?
Could he have eaten anything poisonous? Or moldy food/treats?
How long has he been pooping this sort of stuff?

@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive can you help, please?

You're doing all the right things to help your chickens cope with the heat. You will see very watery poop when it's hot as chickens drink more water than usual. As long as they are behaving normally, it's nothing to worry about.

Things to be on the alert for when it's very hot, 90s to 100sF are chickens that are unsteady and unbalanced, a drunken gait, prostrate and panting, comb bright cherry red and dry looking, or any chicken lying on its side with eyes shut. (Napping chickens tuck head under a wing and that's normal).

If you observe any of those signs, get the chicken someplace cool, apply cold compresses to wing pits and abdomen, and give electrolytes.

It's 95F here and my chickens have fans going in coops and run, ice cubes to scratch around in and drink the melt, and I hosed down the sand to create evaporation which can cool the air ten degrees.

If there are green bits in the white, that's from bile and indicates he's not eating enough.

I'm going to tag some more knowledgeable people, but please give us more information.

What do you feed your chickens, including all treats?
Have you checked for lice, mites, or worms? Or any injuries/sores?
Could he have eaten anything poisonous? Or moldy food/treats?
How long has he been pooping this sort of stuff?

@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive can you help, please?
I make sure to cut out all the weeds to their roots, that I know are bad for them. I give them corn, watermelon, bookworms, mealworms, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, milo, wheat(comes in a pack all mixed together) and they eat pullet developer from IFA. He's been pooping like this for the past 2 days. I make sure to dump their treats and food into a different bin to make sure there is no mold. I havent checked for lice, mites or worms, and dont really know how? :(

I'm hoping it's just the heat, I'm havent seen his poop today, but I havent seen watery poop around at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom