We inherited a coop and small flock

Fowl Mama

Chirping
Jul 18, 2018
Oh my...we are taking over care of 2 roosters and 5 hens. They are laying and we’re new to chickens. We haven’t had any hens laying yet. We’ve only started from chicks. We need to move the coop and chickens over to our yard. We currently have a 5 mo old “nice” rooster. We also have 4 7mo old guineas. We are in the process of building a more predator proof coop and run. How do I put all of this together?!

2 of the hens are broody (did I use that term correctly?). The first chick hatched today. We took the chick out to protect it from the other hens and rooster but in reading here not sure if we did the right thing. We haven’t had time to check the coop out enough to see if there was a way to separate and protect the chicks with mama in the coop. The cutie has been sitting on my chest all evening with a swiffer duster to stay with him/her in the crate for the night (food, water and warmer avail) - reading Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens.

What should the plan of action be for tomorrow? Reunite chick and mama and create a way for them to be separated in the coop? Raise the chicks and reintroduce when they’re the same size. Oh my....

Yes put the chick back ASAP, before daylight if you can. The broody hen will protect it, my roosters offer no harm to chicks, even feed them. She will need her space, plenty of room to take her clutch away from the flock ..
I would either build bachelor pads for extra roosters, or cull the extras (find homes or eat them), I keep extras,,, at 5 MO he is just starting to be a teenager, things can get rough. I put them in bachelor pads until they are 12 months old at least. They will have calmed down a lot by this time. The girls will teach him how to act, if he listens.
Do you now that these birds are healthy? I contain any newbys for about 30 days to make sure. With eye site with the flock, then move them at night to the coop/roost.

Yes put the chick back ASAP, before daylight if you can.
Ditto Dat!^^^

It's best to leave the chicks with their mama(which is not you, but the hen who set the eggs), she can take care of them.

Am a bit confused about these new birds and their coop.
You've already moved birds and coop to your place?
2 of new birds are broody on eggs and one nest is hatching?
More concise info is needed....with some pics if possible.

We live at a camp and the flock is on the other end of the property. We have started chickens in our yard but will be moving the new to is flock up to our yard so they’re all in one place. The person caring for them is no longer here. We can leave them in their current location for a couple of weeks as I hate to disturb the mama’s and chicks hatching. One nest is hatching. The other we have no idea how far along so letting them hatch.

I’m new here and didn’t even know there were chickens there until last week. All I know is that they are prolific layers, feed and watered well. They have not been vaccinated nor treated for worms. I’ll probably add some DE to their feed just to make sure they’re not wormy. May add some also to where they dust themselves in case of mites or lice before moving them up. I’ll keep them separated for 30 days and watch them.

So I know enough to be dangerous. Lol! I read that some other hens or roosters will kill chicks so that’s why we thought we had to remove them. Then as I was thinking and reading last night I realized the mama could do this much better than myself and started to question our decision. Again, we’re letting the current eggs hatch because we have no idea how long the eggs have been there, clearly about 21 days since they’re beginning to hatch (1 nest). The coop it looks like was designed for laying. Not really an area there in the box to add any food or water or to keep chicks separated. Mama goes outside to get food and water.
When I’m finished working the store here I’ll go get some pictures to add. I can add the chick back in then and watch to make sure he is accepted back.

What would we do with you all!!! Thank you!

I’ll probably add some DE to their feed just to make sure they’re not wormy.
Save your money, DE will not kill internal parasites.

Did you give the chick back to mama?

Interesting situation.
Like a summer camp or..?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-7-21_12-8-53.png

Save your money, DE will not kill internal parasites.

Did you give the chick back to mama?

Interesting situation.
Like a summer camp or..?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 1476515
Yes, summer camp/year round. I’ve added location...Northerm MS. Heading down now to take chick and get pics of coop. I’ll be back!

Hope the mama takes the chick back!

Since you don't need to move the setup immediately I'd think it's better to let the hens hatch out where they're currently at. Even if the setup isn't great those chickens are used to it. Use that time to keep an eye on the flock's health as well.

I also hope you have a plan for any male chicks, because you're already going to have to figure out how to manage 3 males as it is.

Good news!!! The chick is happily reunited with mom and all is well!

I’m including some pictures. The nests seem way too high for chicks (in my very limited experience)???haha. There are 2 broody hens, 1 more hen and 3 roosters. All seems peaceful when we’re there.

We’re going to build a new coop. May move this one up eventually for the extra Roos? A bachelor pad?

I don’t know how the chicks will get to any food or water. Won’t this one need water now. Not sure when hatched, over a day.

Attachments

• 8B35A46A-E69D-4435-B6C6-B277787B39FA.jpeg
    8B35A46A-E69D-4435-B6C6-B277787B39FA.jpeg
    817.8 KB · Views: 23
  • A9A6D59E-7105-48B5-BA07-BB84C0F7FF68.jpeg
    A9A6D59E-7105-48B5-BA07-BB84C0F7FF68.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 3F67692D-0A31-4902-9BBD-3A68FB3B3660.jpeg
    3F67692D-0A31-4902-9BBD-3A68FB3B3660.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 14612462-8FFA-47B3-B41F-63AED1A7234D.jpeg
    14612462-8FFA-47B3-B41F-63AED1A7234D.jpeg