weak Hen!!

would it still be a good idea to worm her when she is feeling ill?
Not sure if the wormer would make her more weak or not.
Well if it is worms then not worming her will do nothing but make her worse. You could phone the vet and ask for advice or if you have money to spare you couldnt get a poo sample and find out. Personally, I would order your wormer anyways and for the next couple of days, give her the sick chuck diet and some ACV and see if she improves. If you see a good improvement wait until she is recovered for worming, if not worm her anyways because if its worms she will get nothing but worse without it.

Is the issue her leg? Have you checked her leg for an injury/sprain? Any swelling/bruising? Try soaking her leg in a warm water epsom salt soak. For pain you can give her a low dose aspirin(81mg)or a reg aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. Crush and place in water or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese)or sprinkle over feed. Have you given her any vitamins?

Is the issue her leg? Have you checked her leg for an injury/sprain? Any swelling/bruising? Try soaking her leg in a warm water epsom salt soak. For pain you can give her a low dose aspirin(81mg)or a reg aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. Crush and place in water or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese)or sprinkle over feed. Have you given her any vitamins?

I've been so focused on worms that I haven't thought about this. The leg would deffo explain her not gaining weight ect.

I wondered about that but I did not see anything visible. I checked her good and could not find a thing.

She does not seem to be in pain. I am not sure how chickens indicate pain verbally but she has not
given me any indication of pain. It is just sad to watch her walk.

She was picked on by the others for a while, I wonder if maybe they hurt her. But then again, I could
find no visible wounds our marks.

I am giving her some vitamins in her water at least once a week. Not sure if I should do more or not.

Well if it is worms then not worming her will do nothing but make her worse. You could phone the vet and ask for advice or if you have money to spare you couldnt get a poo sample and find out. Personally, I would order your wormer anyways and for the next couple of days, give her the sick chuck diet and some ACV and see if she improves. If you see a good improvement wait until she is recovered for worming, if not worm her anyways because if its worms she will get nothing but worse without it.
Ok, thanks, that is good advise.

I've been so focused on worms that I haven't thought about this. The leg would deffo explain her not gaining weight ect.
really, I cannot find anything on her that indicates an injury or broken bone or anything.

She could have hurt in, but not broken it I guess.

So, if they have a leg injury they will not gain weight?

really, I cannot find anything on her that indicates an injury or broken bone or anything.

She could have hurt in, but not broken it I guess. 

So, if they have a leg injury they will not gain weight?

Well I have just seen this from watching programmes about wild animals because it shows that when they are injured they loose weight and get weak. What's their diet like? If not getting enough calcium then she could have been taking calcium from her bones for laying which has made her get painful joints/ a bone disease causing limping. One of my girls had a limp years ago and I did nothing about it because I couldn't find anything wrong and then one day she just stopped limping, it was really weird...

I guess the next question is, could it be the weather?

We have had a very cold winter here. Could she have something like autritis?

Also, I have wondered if I should bring her inside. I do not have a garage and
am afraid with family members that have dander allgeries that it would not work.
I also, don't want her to get too used to the indoor environment and not be able
to go outside later.

Should I do something to make her feel warmer? I have separated her from the flock
so she does not have the other girls around her.

Lack of weight gain can have many causes such as worms,injury/pain(they do not eat as well when not feeling good,just like people)being picked on/kept away from food,etc. Have you ruled out crop issues? Her limping does suggest some leg issue,try the aspirin for pain relief. Bring her inside(if you haven't already)to monitor her for eating/drinking.

What does her poop look like,this can actually tell us a lot about what might be wrong.

Also how high up are your perches? Having bugf Orpington's myself I know they are big birds. Is it possible she could have jamp down and maybes landed on something sharp bruising the bone in her foot?

Back
Top Bottom