weak Hen!!

. I ha
Well that is not old at all. Has she been sickly since you had her? I know that a lot of times the poor batt hens can really have health issues.
I am so glad you rescued her, she has a much better life now.

I have had her since last May. I have lots of experience with ex batts so would be easier if it was something like that. She is usually really active and healthy. Probably the healthiest out of all my girls.

. I ha
I have had her since last May. I have lots of experience with ex batts so would be easier if it was something like that. She is usually really active and healthy. Probably the healthiest out of all my girls.

My large breed Dorking hen was losing color in her comb and wattles. I watched her for two days and she did not improve in her color. She was not eating and looked weak. I brought her into the basement and put the red warm light on her. Looked for RED MITES and she had a ton of them. I gave her a bath, she was just full of them. Dried her and kept her inside for a week. Gave her the best food, dusted her with the Sevin 5%, water. Put her outside after three days, but her color did not improve. Only for the daytime. Brought her back in at nite and gave her Nutri Drench daily. Gave her meat. She was getting kind of feitsty and her color started to come back. She is fine now. Her color is the same as the healthy Dorking that did not have mites. Those mites can kill them.

My large breed Dorking hen was losing color in her comb and wattles. I watched her for two days and she did not improve in her color. She was not eating and looked weak. I brought her into the basement and put the red warm light on her. Looked for RED MITES and she had a ton of them. I gave her a bath, she was just full of them. Dried her and kept her inside for a week. Gave her the best food, dusted her with the Sevin 5%, water. Put her outside after three days, but her color did not improve. Only for the daytime. Brought her back in at nite and gave her Nutri Drench daily. Gave her meat. She was getting kind of feitsty and her color started to come back. She is fine now. Her color is the same as the healthy Dorking that did not have mites. Those mites can kill them.
My hen had mites. I have dusted her several times, she now has no mites. I had no idea that mites could do that much damage.
Does it take a while for mites to do a chicken in, or is it something that happens rather quickly. I dusted all my other chickens
to just to be on the safe side.

My hen had mites. I have dusted her several times, she now has no mites. I had no idea that mites could do that much damage.
Does it take a while for mites to do a chicken in, or is it something that happens rather quickly. I dusted all my other chickens
to just to be on the safe side.
Have you dusted the shed?

Have you dusted the shed?
yes, I cleaned out the chicken coop, sprayed it out with water, put some DE and dust down and placed
clean shavings in.

I dusted the girls and will dust them again in a few days.

Their annual worming is due anytime, we plan on doing that the first weekend in march if the weather
is nice.

I am at war against the red mites. I brought in my Wyandotte , she sat on the roost all a.m and afternoon. Looked at her underside and she was coated with them. Gave her a bath and I will keep her in for awhile. Dusted the other girls and will blow in sevin in the a.m. I saw some insecticide for chickens with mites called Smite. I like the blow torch idea. This problem with the mites has been going on all winter. We have sparrows and pines.

Hows she doing?
Hi, She is doing a little better. She is still limping but she is getting around a little more.
She comes to me when she sees my coming with her food/treats. I still have her
isolated from the flock for her protection. The lice problem is gone, so she is
mending, just slowly. Thanks for asking.

How is your hen doing?

Back
Top Bottom