Weird: I can't eat my chickens' eggs! :-O

Sue E.

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2017
Central Texas
I didn't go out and get chickens. They sort of became mine accidentally. (Whole story here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/me.1210196/ ) They started laying and now I find that I can't eat the eggs! Nothing wrong with them. I just have this weird psychological thing about eating the eggs. I know they've not been fertilized, so that's not it. And I don't have a problem using them in a cake or something like that. But I can't make fried eggs or scrambled eggs or anything like that using my chickens' eggs.

I wonder if any of you have had this problem, or known someone who had this problem, and can tell me how to overcome it.

I'm not kidding! This is really a thing. And, yes, I know I'm a little crazy because of this.

Eggs are not being wasted. I'm giving them away.

Thanks!!

There was a moment when I first started eating my flock’s eggs a few months ago, fertilized too, that a thought dawned on me if I just warmed them up nice and toasty for a little while they’d be chicks. It was a little freaky. And then I had a nice runny egg on toast. Totally hooked.

I think when it comes to fear, anxiety or mental discomfort, it just takes a little stepping through that comfort zone and trying it. Then after a few times, things get better. If that’s what you want, but it’s ok if you don’t want to eat them too. It did take me a moment to wrap my head around the whole process, but for me it’s one of many joys I get from my birds, not that the same needs to be from everyone’s personal journey with their flock.

Sue, do you garden? If not, might this be something you would consider? If yes, do you have any issue eating the veggies you grow? Before you consider that my line of questioning is totally out of line, I'd like to expand your "can't eat my bird's eggs" issue and go down the whole "home raised" path with you. Wondering if there might be a first step, enjoying home grown produce that might lead to the second step of enjoying home grown eggs.

Hi sue:frow does the color bother you? I find my fresh eggs scramble better (way fluffier). I am also not a fan of the occasional "meat" you find in farm fresh eggs but its easily removed. I prefer my own eggs because i know what my hens eat and i know how much hens suffer for those store bought eggs. I suggest cooking some, however you prefer them. If u cant get the nerve up to try them u can give them to the hens

I have not dealt with this particular situation, so I cannot personally provide info of it. Farm fresh eggs have many plus sides. Once I've gotten chickens and tried their eggs, store-bought eggs were far in the past. My chicken's eggs were fluffy and smooth, stronger and more... Egg-y. (Yeah, I know what you are thinking). But what I mean is you don't feel as though you are eating something processed or from battery caged hens. It's an enjoyable feeling to have your own eggs and it's pleasure to know the personality of your supplier. As @BantyChooks had stated earlier, I hope that you are able to enjoy the experience sometime soon. Best wishes and God bless, my info may be none to little meaning, but if it does anything at all, I hope it helps you. Have a nice evening! :)

So did I! Picking up a warm egg from my own flock made me kinda of nauseated. Considering what I've put my hands in in the course of my veterinary tech career, I was really surprised at my reaction. I eventually got over my revulsion and ewwwww factor. Didn't do anything special, just kept collecting the eggs as I didn't want to insult my hardworking gals.

I share your opinion re: store bought eggs, Gary. I will still eat store bought meat, but am very aware of where it comes from. We are not big meat eaters, most likely eating about 50% less than the average American. I'd love to grow a pig or two, but the better half is a city boy. I even hate to eat store bought veggies, but... we still gotta eat. Every time I eat a salad of veggies from the store, I wonder how much round up and other nasties I'm putting in my mouth.

I was a little hesitant at first, but I steeled myself and scrambled up my first couple of eggs and... they tasted like eggs! It is purely a mental issue caused by our culture's separation of people from farming and other food production.

Most people don't think about where food really comes from. For them, it comes nicely packaged and processed in the supermarket or in a bag from a fast-food place. You are on a journey to better understanding and appreciating real food and how it is produced.

Just work yourself up to it. Afterwards, you'll look back and be amazed how that large obstacle in your mind was really nothing at all.

Back
Top Bottom