Welcome Ye Who Dare To Cluck.....

Have You Told A Funny Story Yet? IF NOT, YOU CAN'T LEAVE THIS THREAD. No trying to sneak off.

• Total voters
Pics

SulkyBantam

···ʞɔǝꓒ ʎɹǝʌƎ ɥʇᴉM ɹǝʇɹoɥS ɓuᴉʇʇǝꓨ sI ʞɐǝꓭ ʎW
Nov 3, 2020
The Emerald Isle
My Coop
My Coop
AKA Share funny animal stories thread!

Go ON... you know you want to!

And don't go saying you don't have one either. That's NOT an excuse.
You can't keep an animal for 5 minutes without it doing SOMETHING funny, even if its just slightly amusing.

You may also request funny stories from people. Eg. me if no one else replies.

--Sulky

A strange thing happened last spring.
(Sorry my English is not that great to tell a well written story)

We have a young and playful neighbour dog and no complete fence between our yards. The dog is in the house most of the time or laced and isn’t allowed to pass the ‘fence’. But he escapes now and then and goes around the fence sometimes to ‘play’ with my chickens if they free range.

The chickens are frightened as hell of the dog. Luckily they have good instincts and can fly a little to seek a safe place within seconds.

The escape
Last spring the dog escaped and the chickens panicked and flew over the fenced ivy hedge to the other side. The chickens go there more often because there fence is 4x4” and the holes in the ivy are big enough for my bantams to pass through at several points.

Some chickens returned home after several hours, others at sunset. Only my Ini mini didn’t return that evening.

Where is Ini mini?
The next day we got a message on the WhatsApp group of our neighbourhood with about 200 members. This guy posted a picture of my missing Ini mini. A neighbour three gardens further away found her. :eek:

Trapped
So I went over to take her home. Without the panic she couldn’t fly over this fence. And there were no holes in this fence.

I noticed she was very relieved when I walked home with her.

Home again
When I put her in the run with the other chickens I had the most strange experience with my chickens. Ini mini started to ‘talk’ .
talked excitedly about her feelings or her experiences. I don't know how much they can't explain, but this was a very special mix of excited sounds. She kept repeating that a few times.

The other chickens immediately came running and stood and sat in a circle around her. All 7 chickens answer her with soothing (tut tut tut) sounds.

Then Ini mini starts to cackle excitedly again. The other chickens answered in the same way. This went on for at least 10 to 15 minutes until it was ready and each of the chickens went their own way.

Ok.
We have an elderly silkie hen. Weirdly enough, she started laying in midwinter.... little white eggs.

today I found my amberlink laying a LITTLE WHITE EGG.... then the silkie leap into the eggbox and did an egg call!

It Turned out it was my Amberlink all that time...
:idunno
What a sneaky silkie!!

When I was a teenager, my dad got fed up of having to fix the fence every time there was a storm and rounding up escaped cattle, so he decided to get rid of our small herd. He wanted one more to put in the freezer though, so we kept a young Angus bull calf. Well, the poor thing came of age without a heifer in sight, so he took a liking to this big blue plastic barrel we had. I didn't know about their connection at first, but one day I went out to feed our livestock, and I heard the strangest commotion. I crested the hill to our back pasture and what did I see? He was having a go at his artificial lady friend, but in his...youthful inexperience he'd not thought to get it on solid ground. So there I stood transfixed and watched as he mounted that barrel and got to it, only to have it roll away down the hill a ways, him along with it. He was perplexed but undeterred--I couldn't stop staring as he did it twice more--before they finally reached the bottom of the hill. At that point things got a bit more mature than funny and I decided to give the happy couple their privacy.

I still wonder if eating him is the reason I like Data on Star Trek so much.

When our dog Kaluah was about 4 years old I think, i wanted to take her to the beach for swim. This was also around the time Haven was being filmed here. I take her to the little beach in town and the film crew happens to be there filming. The security guards let us on to the beach since we were going to stick to one end and they were filing in the other, however, the beach isn’t that big. So Kaluah and I are on our end having a great time, she’s running in and out and swimming and chasing her toy. I can see people from the crew watching her in between takes, she is very entertaining after all. I should also mention Kaluah has a thing about pooping at beach. And what does exercise do? It gets things moving! So what does Lu do after playing about 20-30 minutes? She scales this big pile of rocks covered in seaweed which makes her queen of the castle and in full sight of everyone and she has a huge poop. So now I have to climb the seaweed castle amd attempt to bag the poop in full view of everyone. Let’s just say once I got back to solid ground we grabbed our $*** and left.
I really hope that’s not on a blooper reel somewhere.
:oops:

Joy is a Speckled Sussex (of course). She turns 4 years old this year and is the reason I have a love for chickens. She is also the reason I still have chickens today. I lost 9 birds one night to a predator, and Joy was the one who warned me. She came to the porch and wouldn’t leave until I came to check on what was wrong. I found that only 4 of my chickens were still alive. Thanks to her, those other 3 lives were able to be saved ❤

She has also done a number of funny things. Recently, I put grass seed down by the pool. It was muddy and so I put down straw with the seed. The chickens immediately discovered it and thought it was the greatest thing. Every time I let them out, it was a race to see who would get there first. Because the seed was on the opposite side of the pool from the coop, the girls had to go around. Joy decided this was unnecessary and came up with her own route. Which way did she decide to take? Over the pool of course. Unfortunately, this plump hen only made it about 4 feet before her helicopter wings dropped her smack in the middle of the pool. This did not faze her though, and as if part of the plan, she swam (or more like thrashed) to the pools edge, climbed out and began to scratch around with the rest. 😂

The Coop Cleaning Conspiracy because I've already heard The Perilously Snowy Day!
For reference, I have four hens. Tillie, the white leghorn, and Poppy, Ruth, and Round-Chicken, the red sex links.

The Coop Cleaning Conspiracy
I was TRYING to clean the coop. To do this, I have the large back door of the coop open, with a wheelbarrow to move out old shavings right up against it. My process of cleaning the coop is this:
Remove some old shavings/poop
put old shavings from nesting boxes into coop
put new shavings in boxes
mix together shavings in the coop and add more as needed
I had removed some of the old shavings from the coop, when they teamed up against me- Poppy went in the doorway, where I was trying to take the shavings out of, and stared in my face intimidatingly, while Ruth went in the wheelbarrow, where I was trying to put the shavings, and decided it was her new favorite spot to sit. So I thought, Ok, I'll just do the nesting boxes. I opened the boxes and Round Chicken was laying an egg! She did this special for the occasion, as she's the least reliable layer of the bunch. Obviously I didn't want to interrupt this important moment, so I was like, I'll add some new shavings to the coop and maneuver OVER Poppy- and Tillie was on the shavings bag!!! The message was clear: "How DARE you CLEAN our home and REMOVE our POOP"
I surrendered and cleaned the coop the next day.

I realize y'all might be looking for funny poultry stories, but my girls are all serious business. Just look at this face:
motherclucker.png

Back
Top Bottom