Well that's a first...

He's pretty, is he under a year old. Make sure to never give him your back if he's facing you. I would have enjoyed watching if I was your neighbor, it must of been quite a show.

He's pretty, is he under a year old. Make sure to never give him your back if he's facing you. I would have enjoyed watching if I was your neighbor, it must of been quite a show.

Yes, he was hatched last June. That may have been my mistake, I most certainly turned my back on him when they were leaving the run. Never again. Lol. It was QUITE a match, I'm small, he's big, he got a few good licks in before I bunted him a few times and then proceeded to Chase him around untill he was doing nothing but running. Stinker. :b

I have a blue plastic coffee can I use for feeding, I toss it towards any young rooster who's looking at me too much or facing me, I'll follow up with running him off, a top rooster does the same to those under him, yours is probably feeling a hormonal surge with the increasing daylight, you looked easy to beat, keep at him until he sees you and cackles while running the other way, not all roosters who try to take out their owners are bad, they just need reminding.

Y
I have a blue plastic coffee can I use for feeding, I toss it towards any young rooster who's looking at me too much or facing me, I'll follow up with running him off, a top rooster does the same to those under him, yours is probably feeling a hormonal surge with the increasing daylight, you looked easy to beat, keep at him until he sees you and cackles while running the other way, not all roosters who try to take out their owners are bad, they just need reminding.

Yes, I could see a change in his attitude all day, he was respectful but cautious and anytime he seemed to be starting to stare me down, I squared my feet and stared him down in return until he moved away and looked away first. Stinker. Won't be turning my back on him ever again.

Eventually you should be able to trust him again, the few who tried it with me only tried it once, and it was their first spring being manly roosters. Now I don't worry about them, it's a good thing to understand rooster body language and how you move can affect what they think and how they react to you. It's nice to hear someone unafraid to stand up to their naughty rooster, once you get scared you are out of luck, personally I get angry and a bit offended, just like a top rooster, they are lucky I can't run too fast.

Eventually you should be able to trust him again, the few who tried it with me only tried it once, and it was their first spring being manly roosters. Now I don't worry about them, it's a good thing to understand rooster body language and how you move can affect what they think and how they react to you. It's nice to hear someone unafraid to stand up to their naughty rooster, once you get scared you are out of luck, personally I get angry and a bit offended, just like a top rooster, they are lucky I can't run too fast.

EXACTLY! Lol. I was a tad offended and most certainly angry, but not so much that I ran and hid. And I AM a fast runner. Lol! I hope he thinks twice before trying that again, but I figure age will mellow him (I hope) I think he was surprised by the fact that I took him on. :b will watch his body language so I learn to read him better over time.

Great story!

I think it's more about how you feel that how you move...
...if your'e afraid they - feel that, if you're not they feel that too, with motion to back it up can put them in their place right quick.

Best of luck, let us know how he works out....he is gorgeous, but you don't want to breed a disrespectful cock.

Over the years I've had several roosters try me. Most only try a few times, some don't learn and end up in the stew pot. My current BO rooster and I have an agreement I don't mess with his hens and he doesn't mess with me. He's a great protector. I free range and several times I've come home and found him bloody from fighting off something. I haven't lost a hen yet on his watch. I'm sure he'll tangle with the wrong critter some day though. Just be careful if you have small children or strangers around. I still have a scar from being spurred through my jeans by my grandpa's BR rooster when I was a kid. When my granddaughter comes over the rooster goes to chicken jail for the day.

Great story!

I think it's more about how you feel that how you move...
...if your'e afraid they - feel that, if you're not they feel that too, with motion to back it up can put them in their place right quick.

Best of luck, let us know how he works out....he is gorgeous, but you don't want to breed a disrespectful cock. 

He took a charge at spouse today, (spouse has a day off) but I was smart (and kind, lol) and let him know what to expect from Foghorn and how to deal with it. He did exactly in bunting him away a few times them he ran Foghorn out of the coop and made sure to Chase him off if he approached again. He said Foghorn only tried it once and gave up after being chased off. I assume (I hope, he's getting the point. I'm headed to the goodwill to purchase a tennis racket in any case to make my point a little more clear to said rooster since I'm smaller than spouse. :b (I'm 5,7 and 155 pounds and spouse is 6,3)

Back
Top Bottom