Well that's a first...

Over the years I've had several roosters try me. Most only try a few times, some don't learn and end up in the stew pot. My current BO rooster and I have an agreement I don't mess with his hens and he doesn't mess with me. He's a great protector. I free range and several times I've come home and found him bloody from fighting off something. I haven't lost a hen yet on his watch. I'm sure he'll tangle with the wrong critter some day though. Just be careful if you have small children or strangers around. I still have a scar from being spurred through my jeans by my grandpa's BR rooster when I was a kid. When my granddaughter comes over the rooster goes to chicken jail for the day.

Yes, lucky we don't have children, only small dogs and he's not concerned about them so far. I most certainly will keep him on a short leash (chicken pen) when I have company over. :) he's a good boy otherwise, he's still feeling out this whole Macho rooster attitude. Lol

I don't think I can ever remember kicking a hen,(I've had some that I would have liked to kick though) but if it's a roosters natural instinct to attack me it's my natural instinct to kick him. I don't go out to the coop looking for a fight, if I need to catch or handle a hen for some reason I'll shut the rooster up first. I'll give a young rooster a pass for attacking me a couple of times and any rooster defending his hens will get a pass, but one that wants to try and take me for no reason is living on borrowed time. There's too many good roosters needing a good home to keep a mean one.

In three flocks, I've never had a rooster get aggressive with me. I've currently got one hen that gets aggressive/excited when I hand feed canned corn. She'll peck at my hands even if I'm not offering a kernel. I about slapped her head off the other day.
But if I ever have to tangle with one of my two roosters, they'll definitely remember not to do it again.

I don't think I can ever remember kicking a hen,(I've had some that I would have liked to kick though) but if it's a roosters natural instinct to attack me it's my natural instinct to kick him. I don't go out to the coop looking for a fight, if I need to catch or handle a hen for some reason I'll shut the rooster up first. I'll give a young rooster a pass for attacking me a couple of times and any rooster defending his hens will get a pass, but one that wants to try and take me for no reason is living on borrowed time. There's too many good roosters needing a good home to keep a mean one.

I try to keep some spare roos, either in a bachelor pen or free ranging, because I have a low tolerance for people aggressive roos. If they even show a hint of challenging any human, they get free ranged and eventually culled. I don't want the genes of a mean roo in my stock. Today I saw a Reese line Cream Legbar roo that I did that too. His comb is almost completely black from frost and he looked very forlorn, a much humbler roo than he was the day he jumped at me. It doesn't matter that he reformed, he will never have a hen to watch over ever again.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for training and keeping their roos. I'm breeding for personality as much as laying ability and other traits, and I pride myself on being able to tell buyers that every roo in my breeding pens is completely trustworthy, I'd let a small child go in there by themselves and not worry (wouldn't let them for sanitary reasons - but you get my point).

I've had alot of roosters that have been perfect gentleman around people. They're usually hiding when a hen is killed by something. To me a good rooster is not afraid to defend his hens but isn't walking around with a chip on his shoulder either. The rooster I have now has only tried to take me once, it was my fault I was trying to band one of HIS hens. I should have waited until they were on the roost. He was just doing his job. He's the best rooster I've had in quite awhile, gentle with his hens, always on the lookout, he's a great protector, (which I'm sure will be his downfall someday) and he doesn't tolerate any fighting between the hens. I don't have to watch my back when he's around but I wouldn't trust him (or any rooster) alone around kids. I free range my hens most days even in the winter, what I'm looking for in a rooster is different than what alot of people are looking for in a rooster.

I should also add I'm not running a breeding program either, I sell eggs not chickens. I might let a few broodies hatch some chicks occasionally but I'll keep the pullets and eat the unwanted roosters. If I were running a breeding program I would probably want a more docile rooster.

I should also add I'm not running a breeding program either, I sell eggs not chickens. I might let a few broodies hatch some chicks occasionally but I'll keep the pullets and eat the unwanted roosters. If I were running a breeding program I would probably want a more docile rooster.

Very true. I can see why you like a roo with a will to defend his hens. I only free range birds I expect to lose and don't expect eggs from. The breeders are penned up in completely predator proof runs, so a docile roo is fine for that.

There are a lot of free ranging roos and even with a group of hens they never attack a person. We had one last year that took on my 9 year old niece. He was too smart to come at me, but I cornered him in a shed anyway. Let's just say he never had a day of freedom after that, and not too many more days in total.

I'm sure it helps that most of the roos that are free ranging are from my breeding efforts, so their parents were selected for good manners.

Back
Top Bottom