Went to get my pullets(41/2-5mo old) fresh water and saw this:

Sep 13, 2020
Oklahoma
Just now I went to get my pullets some fresh water and saw that she had not opened her eye. On further inspection, her eye seems to be sealed shut. I don't know if it's from injury or if she got something in there. But I really don't know what to do or if there's anything I can do for her. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. They're approx. 41/2-5mo. old, all hens and I'm not sure how long she's been like this. But I do look at them every day and try to inspect them as much as I can. But I don't necessarily see every part of them every day.
20201108_163408.jpg

That looks like mycoplasma. I’m not sure how to treat it, but hopefully someone who does will come and post here soon.

Well depending on where you got them from, they might have already had it. Mycoplasma spreads through feathers, droppings, coop supplies, and basically through anything that came in contact with the infected bird. Even after all infected birds are removed- it is still highly contagious and will continue to spread through the flock.

Assuming that this is indeed mycoplasma. But I’m no expert, so before making any decisions I’ll tag others who may be able to help.

@casportpony @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Kiki

I've had them for a couple of months now. Does it stay that long on the birds or even in the coop? Their coop has a completely enclosed run with chicken wire on the bottom. I leave them in there for a good part of the day them turn them out for a couple of hours to free range. We've had a hawk stalking them before and we're pretty rural so even tho we want them to free range as much as possible, we are still concerned about the predators out here.

Can you tell us if she has any other symptoms besides the swollen eyelid? How does she smell around her beak and face? Can you put a wet cloth on her eye and soften the crust, then open it to look for any pus or freign body (feather, seed pod, dirt?) Her beak is open, so is she gasping or having any noisy breathing, wheezing, sneezing, etc? Is there nasal drainage?

It looks like she has conjunctivitis (pinkeye) which sometimes is from a peck wound or something caught in the eye, but also could be from a respiratory sinus disease such as MG or coryza. E.coli or other bacteria can also cause this. Please answer some of the questions. Do you have access to a vet or antibiotics?

If it is caused by a respiratory disease, antibiotics may treat symptoms, but they have it in their bodies for life. The other chickens may also be carriers.

Can you tell us if she has any other symptoms besides the swollen eyelid? How does she smell around her beak and face? Can you put a wet cloth on her eye and soften the crust, then open it to look for any pus or freign body (feather, seed pod, dirt?) Her beak is open, so is she gasping or having any noisy breathing, wheezing, sneezing, etc? Is there nasal drainage?

It looks like she has conjunctivitis (pinkeye) which sometimes is from a peck wound or something caught in the eye, but also could be from a respiratory sinus disease such as MG or coryza. E.coli or other bacteria can also cause this. Please answer some of the questions. Do you have access to a vet or antibiotics?

If it is caused by a respiratory disease, antibiotics may treat symptoms, but they have it in their bodies for life. The other chickens may also be carriers.
She was scared when my husband was holding her. They're not all entirely used to us. As far as I can tell it's just her eye. No wheezing or gasping, no weird smells or sneezing, or nasal discharge. As far as I can tell she's eating and drinking normal for her.
I haven't tried anything like a wet cloth, etc. because I didn't want to make it worse. I can try that tomorrow. It's dark here now. I could take her to the vet if necessary or have him come out here either way. Or I can see if our local feed stores have any eye cream or antibiotics as well if I know what ones to try.

I would check her in the morning and try to get the eye opened. Then check her breathing, odor, etc. You can get saline eye drops from a pharmacy, and terramycin eye ointment from some feed stores (ask a clerk since it is locked up. ) Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be used if you cannot get Terramycin. A vet would be good if you can areange that. If her eye is not affected by a tumor, then I would suspect there is pus around the eye and sinus, and it would need to be removed.

Hard to tell from a photo...so is her other eye like this or is it ok?
Is she behaving normally?
In that photo she looks like she's not well & gasping...or is it just because you are trying to hold her still for a photo and she doesn't like being held?
Just trying to figure out is the swelling of one eye the only issue. If she seems normal other than that, she may have just gotten pecked in the eye.
When that happened to one of mine I separated him & got eye ointment at Walgreens & put that in, he was fine after 2 days in a large cage, his own food & water with no one pecking at his already sore eye.

If the bird's eye was fine just earlier then it may be just a pecking incident...Hopefully so

Back
Top Bottom