Went to go buy ducklings and it was disturbing..

May 9, 2020
Tampa, Florida
So there was this guy selling muscovies on Craigslist and today we went to go get some. $15 a piece when they're typically only around $5 here. So we get there and go to the guys backyard and well let me just say what I saw broke my heart. Their living area is so so awful. It's very dirty. Their water is muddy and their only food (I think) was some chunky white soup stuff (the people were Indian so idk what kind of recipe it was). I don't think they even buy them food, they make it. They had geese, poults, chicks and muscovies. All of which were dirty and or missing feathers. The ducklings looked the worst. Some had sores and scabs on them and they were very very tiny for being 2 months old. I don't think they get the right nutrients at all because they did not look 2 months old. Only the feathering looked 2 months but their sizes just- nope! They had bald spots all over and were greasy and stank (you know how they get when they stay in a muddy area for a while) I'm guessing they have a disease or eat each others feathers to make up for the lack of food. I picked up a poult and saw its face was all blown up swelled. It looked so sad and miserable and at that point, I wanted to cry. I didn't get a good look at the geese because they were crazy running but they were gross and greasy like the others. (keep in mind, everything is about the same age, 2 months) The chicks had spots where dirt was crusted onto their fur. My first thought when I saw the babies was "I am not going to pay $40 to get these sick things and have my whole flock die"

I don't know how they are living and I honestly wonder how many have died.... Can he get in trouble for this? Because it seriously is NOT okay. If you could see what I saw, you would be pretty upset too. As soon as I got home, I washed my hands 4 times, put my clothes in the laundry, sanitized every single thing I touched, took a shower and bleached my shoes. I do not want my birds getting sick from that disgusting crap. It makes me so mad honestly, that the guy would even try and sell the sick birds. I really wished I could save them, even a few, but there's no point in risking my whole (big) flocks health and wasting an absurd amount of money on it. If I reported him, will the babies be be taken away and saved from that awful life? Each ones eyes I looked into showed a sad story and look of despair. They need out of there :( The guy claims that they are his pets but those are NOT pets. Those are neglected, unhealthy animals that need help NOW. What should I do??? I don't want it to be obvious if I reported it, so I'd wait a week or so. But who am I supposed to tell?

I saw something like this before as well.
It was before I joined so I knew nothing about poultry and the severity of the situation.
They were selling tases Msucovie ducks, there were about 10 in a 3x30 space. The area was muddy, and I didn't see any feed, just nasty, wet, fermented table scraps. The area stank so bad, and the area was extremely muddy. The ducks were caked with mud, and looked to be in terrible shape. I knew they were in a bad situation, but didn't quite realize the severity. After about a week all of them were gone and out of the situation, but I hope the people who took them knew what they were doing, and the precautions to take. Poor guys. 😔

Something similar happened to me a few months ago. I went to go pick up some free Cornish X birds because my daughter forgot to give them water that morning ( rookie mistake) and the poor bird were living in a ting encloser and the ducks lived in a very muddy pen, they had dogs everywhere, but not as bad as you described. When we butchered them a few weeks later they were crawling with mites and lice we were about to puke :sick These birds have gave almost our whole flock lice. We have been treating them for a few months and they are almost gone! YAY! I am so sorry that this happened to you. I hope that he finds this page and figures out that this is cruelty.

Back
Top Bottom