What Antiseptics and Disinfectants are in Your Kit?

What's in Your KIt?

• Total voters
I have had chickens for decades and have never used any of those. Only once have I had a bird with a small wound on her head from pulling it back through a fence. It healed up on its own.

If you are using medical supplies on a daily basis, I think you need to rethink your set up.

Mrs K

I have had chickens for decades and have never used any of those. Only once have I had a bird with a small wound on her head from pulling it back through a fence. It healed up on its own.
I added a poll choice for you.
If you are using medical supplies on a daily basis, I think you need to rethink your set up.
Sorry, but I don't see where anyone has said they are using medical supplies on a daily basis. :idunno :th

Going forward, I would like to keep this thread *on topic*, and that topic is "What Antiseptics and Disinfectants are in Your Kit and why? Please, no bashing those that choose to have them.

Last edited:

Mrs K
Gee, what a Debbie downer for a helpful list of supplies!

:highfive: Thanks! I say better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.
Household stuff not the best for chicken wounds...
Bleach, wouldn't use on chickens themselves.
Peroxide, would use for initial cleansing and what I use on my own wounds.
Rubbing alcohol, wouldn't use on chickens themselves, but on tools used on chickens.
Vetericyn, only specific chicken stuff.

I have a lot of medical supplies that I use on a daily basis so a lot of them are used with my chickens if I ever have any emergencies or my dogs or cat.

I do not mean to bash anyone, but I also do not use the above list. My point is that most of the time, chickens do better on their own with fresh air, clean water and good food, and dry bedding and can be raised without doctoring.

Mrs K

I do not mean to bash anyone, but I also do not use the above list. My point is that most of the time, chickens do better on their own with fresh air, clean water and good food, and dry bedding and can be raised without doctoring.

Mrs K
Most of my medical supplies are for my use because I need to use them. I have had a hawk rip open a chicken and it wouldn't have survived if I did not step in.

Household stuff not the best for chicken wounds...
Agree.
Bleach, wouldn't use on chickens themselves.
Agree, never on a chicken. Good for brooders, incubators, feeders, and waterers.
Rubbing alcohol, wouldn't use on chickens themselves
If you ever need to look at the skin it works well when you use it to set the feathers.
but on tools used on chickens.
I use it for that too.
Vetericyn, only specific chicken stuff.
That's one I don't have.

Back
Top Bottom