What are you canning now?

Here's the recipe for the Basil Jelly. There is a recipe for Mint Jelly (using mint leaves from the garden) and Rosemary Jelly in the same magazine issue. They have a lemon marmalade recipe I'm going to try, too.

Basil Jelly

4 cups water
2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1 package (1 3/4 oz) powdered fruit pectin
3 drops green food coloring (optional)
5 cups sugar

In a large saucepan, bring water and basil to a boil. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain and discard basil. Return 3-2/3 cups liquid to the pan. Stir in the pectin and food coloring (if desired). Return to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir in the sugar. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leave 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.

This recipe is from Taste of Home Canning & Preserving. The author of the article writes: "The jelly is so yummy with cream cheese as an appetizer. I also like to combine a jar with 1 cup of barbecue sauce and simmer mini meatballs or cocktail wieners in the mixture."

Two ice cube trays of pesto in freezer ;) 4 pints of blabkberries and 2 raspberries picked, washed in freezer :D its just too hot to can today :( saving it all for a rainy day and a sugar sale!! :rolleyes:

Chow Chow

2 1/2 qts of cabbage (make it into slaw cuts)
1 qt of green tomatoes
4 large green bell peppers
2 large red bell peppers
1/2 qt of sweet onions chopped small
mix well in large bowl let it sit in refrigerator over night. To get some of the water out of the veg.

Paste

1Tablespoon salt
1Tablespoon mustard (dry)
1 Tablespoon Tumeric
1 Tablespoon mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon celery seeds
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 cups vinegar
mix well in your cooking pot large enough to add the cabbage mix to it.

cook about 20-25 min till the paste mix thickens

put in hot pint jars
put in hot waterbath 10 min. in my zone

Robin

Last edited:
Anyone know of a good canning recipes or books on no sugar cooking?
My father, father-in-law, brother and husband are all diabetics and I would love to make them stuff without the tons of sugar required.

P.s. Hubby and Father-in-law are allergic to Splenda

You can make just about anything without sugar and a whole new recipe isn't necessarily needed. For jams you simply make preserves and cook down until you get your desired set rather than timing it as you would with a heavy sugar/pectin combo. For things like Applesauce you can simply omit the sugar. We're not diabetic, but I dislike my kids getting too much sugar -- I mean, isn't that why I can to begin with? To have better food for them in the house? -- so I make most things without sugar or with lower amounts than the standard recipes.

Anyone know of a good canning recipes or books on no sugar cooking?
My father, father-in-law, brother and husband are all diabetics and I would love to make them stuff without the tons of sugar required.

P.s. Hubby and Father-in-law are allergic to Splenda

There's also the no sugar needed pectin. It's the only type I use now. I can reduce the sugar drastically or eliminate it all together.

Smoking peppers: Take any kind of pepper (we use home grown bell peppers) and cut in half, seed them if you want. Place them in your smoker and smoke for several hours till you reach the desired smokiness. Then to make sure they are completely dried out for storage, I place them in my dehydrator overnight - OUTSIDE. Then seal them up in a bag or jar and use when I need them. Here is a before and after picture of the peppers.

Zucchini Cream I found in a book from the library, wish I had wrote the name of the book down instead of just the recipes.
I can pm you the recipe if you want but here is whats in it: 2 lbs of zucchini, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup butter and the juice & rind of 2 lemons.
You don't taste the zucchini at all, acts like a thickener or base if you will. I've heard people say it tastes like a Lemonade Cream or the filling from a lemon meringue pie.

Id love to have it also please sounds really good..

Back
Top Bottom