What are you canning now?

Today the count down is 2 days till school starts, I am really not happy
hit.gif
But little man got up at 7:30 this morning, and woke me up, and we got 99% (didn't get shoes or bag on) ready before 8:30!!! So now that means it is on to the pears, I have 2 FULL milk cartons of ripe pears and about 12 pears on the table leftover from the last ripening batch. Plus a extra milk crate full of cucumbers(sweet relish) and tomatoes, with a couple extra large zucchinis for the neighbor. My day is going to be super busy already. Really can't wait until all of my garden is on one property and I won't have to run all over town to get tomatoes and pears, now my car smells fruity and it was only a 15 minute drive.

It was yesterday but did 15 quarts of green beans, 7 quarts of chicken stock, and 7 quarts tomato/onion/pepper mixture. Planning on pickles and pears this week.

Today I canned 9 quarts of green beans.
Here are a few of the pear recipes I just used over the past couple of weeks. I made more pear sauce than anything. I quickly discovered that the small pears growing on the tree here are too much work to peel and core. I just quartered them, cooked them down, drained the juice off to drink or can ( to drink or make jelly out of later), and cranked the rest through an old Foley food mill to can as sauce or pear butter. A lot of work , but my pantry is full of sweet pear goodness now.

Maple Vanilla Pear Butter
7-8 pounds of pears
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 TBSP vanilla
Pinch of salt

- Add about half cup of water to pears ( just to keep them from sticking to the bottom) and cook over medium heat until fruit is soft- about 30 minutes. Transfer to a food mill and process until smooth. Add the puree back to the pot, add sugar,syrup, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Cook over low heat, stirring FREQUENTLY, until thick enough to round up on a spoon. ( I also have cooked this in a crock pot overnight so I didn't have to worry about it sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.)
- Fill sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space, and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

What do you use the butters for? I hate how recipes say how to make it, but never how to use it. I have one book that has random info such as "pair this with a white wine or salmon."

p.s.

I need some good pear canning recipes!  

Chunky Vanilla Pear Sauce
Makes about 3 quarts

10 cups pear pieces
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. Allspice ( I was out of allspice, so omitted it.)
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1TBSP. Vanilla
1 TBSP lemon juice
- Toss all ingredients and cook in a crock pot on high for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. After the pears start to soften, uncover the crock pot and cook for another 2 hours so that the liquid boils off. ( This can also be done on the stove top in a large pot, but be sure to stir OFTEN so that it doesn't stick and burn to the bottom.)
*Note: Once I realized what a job it is to peel and core pears, I just quarterd the pears, cooked them down, drained the juice, ran the pears through a food mill, then added the sugar and spices and canned the sauce. This makes a much smoo
ther sauce. Ladle hot sauce into hot quart jars , leaving 1/2 inch headspace , and process in a boiling water canner for 25 minutes.

Pear Butter

8 pounds pears
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Cloves

Wash and quarter pears. Toss pears, water, sugar, and spices in an 8 quart pot and bring to a boil. Once you reach a boil, reduce heat to simmer, stir pears and cook until they are tender.(stir often)
Once the pears are soft, spoon them into a food mill to separate the peels, stems, and seeds. Next, place the pear mixture into a crock pot for six hours ( or overnight ), stirring occasionally.
Once the pear butter has thickened and turned a dark brown color, it is ready to can.
Ladle pear butter into hot jars filling to within 1/2 inch of the tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two piece lids; screw on bands finger tip tight. Cover jars with 1-2 inches of water in a boiling water canner. Cover,bring water to a boil and process 10 minutes. Remove jars and allow to cool completely. Check the seals.If a jar hasn't sealed, refrigerate. Yields about 4 pints or 8-9 half pints.

I also canned pear sauce with no sugar or spices added. With the riper pears, it was plenty sweet with nothing else added!

What do you use the butters for? I hate how recipes say how to make it, but never how to use it. I have one book that has random info such as "pair this with a white wine or salmon."

We eat pear or apple butter on biscuits with butter or margarine , in place of jelly or jam, or without margarine or butter- just plain pear butter on hot biscuits! I have children who like it one way or the other and children who like it either way. It is good on toast too or on pancakes instead of syrup.

Wow! Great recipes!

Question: What is the ripeness of the pears being used? I've got Bartletts, so do I need to wait for yellow skin?

I noticed several of these recipes are cooking until soft, which makes me believe the pears are hard or unripe?
hu.gif

I am relatively new to pears....

Wow!  Great recipes!

Question:  What is the ripeness of the pears being used?  I've got Bartletts, so do I need to wait for yellow skin? 

I noticed several of these recipes are cooking until soft, which makes me believe the pears are hard or unripe?   :confused:

I leave ours a little firm and green because if not they seem to turn to mush when canned

Wow!  Great recipes!

Question:  What is the ripeness of the pears being used?  I've got Bartletts, so do I need to wait for yellow skin? 

I noticed several of these recipes are cooking until soft, which makes me believe the pears are hard or unripe?   :confused:

Some of mine still had green skin but I could push on them and the pear gave a little. Pears ripen from the inside out , so when they are really ripe and yellow on the outside the inside IS mush. This year I picked them, put them in our basement ( think cellar- it's an old house) for a few days ( some were in the basement a week), then brought them upstairs and processed them. By the time I brought them up they were soft to the touch. Some in each five gallon bucket had gone bad, but not many. I tried pears a few years ago that someone gave me and they were mushy but gritty. Apparently pears do this if left to ripen on the tree. This year I picked them green and let them ripen as mentioned. Big difference.

Back
Top Bottom