What are you canning now?

Love old cookbooks. Bought one at a book sale a few months back that was a country women's assoc cookbook. Looked really old by the cover artwork. Unfortunately when I looked more closely at home it was published in the 80's so not exactly the vintage book I'd though sigh.

Love old cookbooks. Bought one at a book sale a few months back that was a country women's assoc cookbook. Looked really old by the cover artwork. Unfortunately when I looked more closely at home it was published in the 80's so not exactly the vintage book I'd though sigh.

Well perhaps you can sell it again, or donate it. I don't usually pay more than a couple of dollars. One of mine is from the 70's, but a church type book/pamplet.

Some I have I can tell are from a time before gas ranges as they have no temps to bake by. Just low heat, high heat or medium heat. etc. etc. Too they're from Obscure places such as northern Canada.

Did I mention I found Kniffles. A german dumpling my mother used to make? Very simple and easy. Cheap too, only uses four ingredients. I'll post it later.

Got a third of a beef from a steer that the parents raised. Barely had room in the freezers.

Canned up a couple of batches of beef stock this past weekend. Use maybe a quarter of the soup bones that we got.

(9) Quart jars
(10) Pint jars
(1) Pint jar that didn't seal. Put that one in the fridge to use this week in a roast or something.

good job!

I predict soup in your future.
db72eeb57c3db1263794986e54c8366f.jpg

Hint:

I was reading this in a magazine. The woman takes the peelings from carrots, ends cut from celery, onions, potato peels, and other veggies puts them in a gallon freezer bag in the freezer. When it's full boils it up. Then she strains it go make vegetable stock.

I did wonder about the potato peels though.

Sounded good but DW said, "I don't have time to do that". I just thought, well it's not any harder than dumping it in the grocery bag for me to dump in the compost. Sometimes I just don't see things as so much work. Well unless I'm doing it of course.
lol.png

Hint:

I was reading this in a magazine. The woman takes the peelings from carrots, ends cut from celery, onions, potato peels, and other veggies puts them in a gallon freezer bag in the freezer. When it's full boils it up. Then she strains it go make vegetable stock.

I did wonder about the potato peels though.

Sounded good but DW said, "I don't have time to do that". I just thought, well it's not any harder than dumping it in the grocery bag for me to dump in the compost. Sometimes I just don't see things as so much work. Well unless I'm doing it of course.
lol.png

Potato peels are edible . Avoid green skin . We never peel anymore .

I canned some chicken noodle egg roll soup??? I was lazy and didn't want to make noodles... so I cut some left over egg roll wrappers in strips and added them to my jars before canning. OMG is that good! I usually make my own noodles which add a little cloud to the soup but the jars I made flew out of the kitchen... I wish I would have taken a pic but I got raided by my friends that make gift bags. Gonna can some tuna today.

I love old cookbooks and new. My largest book collection is..... cookbooks!!! I just love reading them even if I dont do up a recipe. Lol

More recently Im looking for old recipes as you mentioned rancher hicks. I dont waste anything anymore.

Tonight the duck backs and necks are in the Presto getting canned for the dogs. Breastmeat in freezer already. So looking for more opportunities to keep more of the edibles for the human members of the family.

Back
Top Bottom