What are you canning now?

For those of you looking to grow apples, note that apple trees need to be cross-pollinated in order to set fruit. You need to have at least two varieties of apples to produce apples. In fact, there are some varieties of apples that produce "sterile" pollen and cannot be used to pollinate any apple trees, so you would need three different trees with these varieties.

Also, one of thebest pollinators for apple trees is a crab-apple tree.

Crazy busy lately, plus everyone getting sick, daughter is back in school and the weather has been unreadable at best!

These are some of the many reasons I have not been by, and I wanted to say HI and I miss you guys and I hope I will back again to visit and talk canning again soon. My hours are going to slow at work, and the garden is slowing since most of our fall stuff is in, and lots of the summer stuff has been cleaned out.

Hooray! I need a break! :)

Oh... and the state fair will be in 2 weeks and we'll find out how my canning entries do then.
pop.gif

We made plum sauce a few years ago. It was good when we first made it but lost something after being canned. It was almost too vinegary and a little flat. I haven't tried it again as we don't use it that often and I figured I could always make it fresh from plum jam when I needed some in the fridge. Hope yours turns out like you want.

Haven't been canning much recently as we are between gardens at the moment. Summer garden is all but done and fall garden is blooming and growing still but not producing much yet except lettuce. I still have some apples that we haven't worked up yet and I think the kids are going to go pick pears next weekend so we'll doing something next week I guess.

Off to make some potato soup and popovers for supper!

Mmmm...'tater soup sounds wonderful...haven't had any in ages. Made a big ole pot of chili last night that turned out well...will can the rest of it tomorrow. Did up 10 pints of mushrooms after work today and I'm heading out to prep apples for tomorrow. If I have time, I'll get the carrots ready as well.

We picked up a tall, 2 burner camp stove sort of thing on Sat, and used it to water bath my apple pie filling the other day. Man, does that thing put out the BTU's! It had that big ole quart canner boiling in a jiffy. Used it today for the mushrooms and found it sort of hard to regulate pressure wise...had to turn it down almost as low as it would go and then keep an eagle eye on the dial, but finally got it figured out. It's so much faster and great to keep the heat and moisture outside rather than in the house.

For those of you looking to grow apples, note that apple trees need to be cross-pollinated in order to set fruit. You need to have at least two varieties of apples to produce apples. In fact, there are some varieties of apples that produce "sterile" pollen and cannot be used to pollinate any apple trees, so you would need three different trees with these varieties.

Also, one of thebest pollinators for apple trees is a crab-apple tree.

Yeppers. Granny Smith and Golden Delicious are also good pollinators.

Back
Top Bottom