What breed is the quietest roo?

Hey there! I've had several roosters of different breeds and so far the slikie rooster has the most tolerable crow. Even for a young guy it isn't that shrill of key sound you get with the young ones. He's my first silkie rooster though, so I don't know if he'll get louder with age.

I don't have experience here; would it not work to just borrow a roo temporarily? Maybe someone near you has a bachelor? There is no way your neighbors won't hear crowing, even if you take him inside at night. Your heart will be broken, and worse yet--his neck--when the crowing becomes problematic... A rent-a-roo could be gone before the neighbors have time to mount a civil campaign.

I had a silkie roo that died protecting his flock from a rando urban fox last year. He was the best boy. He would watch the skies, cry out an alarm to protect his girls and stand at the entrance of the coop in front of the girls until I came out to see what the hub bub was. He was pretty quiet as far as roosters go, which I didn’t realize until I’d heard a serama from someone else’s yard (he was shrill and loud) and when our roo mated with an Ameraucana and had a gorgeous, red feathered son who was twice his size. His crow you could hear down the street. We found a farm for him fast. Another friend of mine had a bigger, flashier breed of some kind and his crow was deep and booming loud. As for my silkie roo, I never heard any complaints from the neighbors and we’ve all got 1/4 acre lots. Our noise ordinance goes from 9pm to 7am. I eventually made a little crate for him in the house in the mud room where I’d bring him in in the evenings during summer since the sun rises early. He could crow to his heart’s content at 6:00am in his crate, then I’d plop him out with the girls before work. Handling him every day made him gentle towards humans, too. Or at least to me. Sorry for being so long winded, but of the roosters I’ve seen, the silkies are the quietest.

I have a white Leghorn bantam/Serama cross rooster who crows throughout the day. His crow, however, is much higher pitched than the larger breeds (it’s kinda hilarious - just imagine Alvin and the Chipmunks as roos ;)).

I also have an 11 week old Buff Orpington cockerel who has yet to start crowing (can’t wait to see what that sounds like). His disposition at the moment is actually calmer than when he was 3-4 weeks. In fact, that was part of the evidence that convinced me he was a roo. Didn’t have much of a comb or wattles yet, but boy his swagger and attitude screamed roo to me :).

Fortunately for me, the property behind us and on one side of us both raise tons of chickens (and roosters), so me having one or a few isn’t an issue :D.

But I agree with those who suggest a bantam, simply because you described your hens as being sweet and little. A bantam is less likely to injure them (when I had my last flock of chickens, I lost a RIR hen to a severe back laceration. I suspected one of the RIR roos accidentally injured her since they weren’t free ranging and no predators could get to them. Now I have this fear it will happen again. Hopefully my Gerard (the Buff Orpington) will prove to be a gentle giant. He does like to take naps in my lap and when he pecks at my clothes or skin, he is very gentle about it).

I live in a quiet little neighborhood. Houses are decently far apart, but noise would still be an issue. I want a rooster to breed & procreate with my 4, gorgeous, sweet little hens. What is the quietest breed of chicken (as far as roosters & crowing go), and how can I keep my roo quiet until everyone has had time to wake up? I don’t want any angry neighbors!
Hi there! I have silkies and their crow is more like a rooster with a sore throat--they do crow, but it doesn't seem to carry as far as the larger roo's. Here's an idea though, for people in urban situations and those with close neighbors-- check out the 'no crow' collar. It might be an option if you're nervous about it, it doesn't look cruel to me, you be the judge though: https://nocrowroostercollars.com

I'm interested in this as well. I have ducks and goats and am adding chickens. Want a roo for reproduction but have the same noise concerns. Has anyone tried a "crow collar?" I was planning on trying it, but wanted some input from someone who's actually used one. Thanks!

I'm interested in this as well. I have ducks and goats and am adding chickens. Want a roo for reproduction but have the same noise concerns. Has anyone tried a "crow collar?" I was planning on trying it, but wanted some input from someone who's actually used one. Thanks!
The crow collar was a waste of money and unnecessary aggravation for both us and our rooster. It kept slipping and aggravating his feathers, and really didn't do too much beyond taking that shrill bantam crow down a decibel or two. Now. we may not have had it on exactly right, and we didn't leave it on very long (it was an experiment, not an intended fix,) but if the little buggers are that picky about positioning and staying put, then they're not worth the effort to me. I'll deal with a healthy crow. At least I know my Boys are there - and I can usually tell what's up and with whom by the tone.

EDIT to change "cow" to "crow" ... oops!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom