What breed is this bantam?

It looks exactly like my RIR bantam as a chick. My red cochin bantam had no black and was a lot lighter.
Not completely. If you breed frizzle to smooth you'll get 1/2 and 1/2 roughly. Feathered legs is a dominant trait though. If at least one parent has feathered legs then all the offspring will have feathered legs of some degree.
Frizzles have one copy of the frizzling gene. Frazzles, which have two copies of the gene, are a lot rarer since they have extremely brittle feathers and generally aren't bred for. If a frazzle is bred to a smooth you'll get 100% frizzled offspring.

That I'm aware of, no U.S. hatcheries offer Booted bantams. :) It's far more likely this adorable little guy is a beardless d'Uccle.

OP, as for your red baby, is the plumage looking a little more smooth? :confused: It's not out of the realm of possibility that (s)he's simply feathering in oddly. I once raised a Cochin whose wings appeared frizzled at a couple weeks of age, but later resolved themselves.

~Alex

Last edited:
That I'm aware of, no U.S. hatcheries offer Booted bantams. :) It's far more likely this adorable little guy is a beardless d'Uccle.

OP, as for your red baby, is the plumage looking a little more smooth? :confused: It's not out of the realm of possibility that (s)he's simply feathering in oddly. I once raised a Cochin whose wings appeared frizzled at a couple weeks of age, but later resolved themselves.

~Alex
A beardless d'Uccle is a booted bantam.

A beardless d'Uccle is a booted bantam.
I was referring to what are also called Sabelpoots. :) As far as my limited knowledge stretches, aren't they a separate breed? Different standards, and such?

Here's a little information I found on belgianduccle.org:
Although the weights of the TWO BREEDS are the same ONE MUST always keep in mind that these are TWO DIFFERENT BREEDS and there are Major differences in the two Breeds. The Booted Bantam has no Beard, has Large Wattles, is Taller and has a "U" shape between the head / neck and tail. Because there is d'Anver blood in the d'Uccle bantams the d'Uccle is a shorter bird, has a broader breast, Bull neck, very, very small wattles (or none) and a "V" shape between the Head/neck and Tail.
The first varieties of Belgian d’Uccles were the Mille Fleur, Porcelain, and White, but the Mille Fleur was the first variety entered into the American Poultry Association's Standards of Perfection in 1914. This was thirty-five years after the entrance of the Booted Bantam (a distinctly different breed from the Belgian d'Uccle). I mention this because sometimes the Booted Bantam and the Belgian d'Uccle are confused with one another.

~Alex

Last edited:
I was referring to what are also called Sabelpoots. :) As far as my limited knowledge stretches, aren't they a separate breed? Different standards, and such?

Here's a little information I found on belgianduccle.org:
Although the weights of the TWO BREEDS are the same ONE MUST always keep in mind that these are TWO DIFFERENT BREEDS and there are Major differences in the two Breeds. The Booted Bantam has no Beard, has Large Wattles, is Taller and has a "U" shape between the head / neck and tail. Because there is d'Anver blood in the d'Uccle bantams the d'Uccle is a shorter bird, has a broader breast, Bull neck, very, very small wattles (or none) and a "V" shape between the Head/neck and Tail.
The first varieties of Belgian d’Uccles were the Mille Fleur, Porcelain, and White, but the Mille Fleur was the first variety entered into the American Poultry Association's Standards of Perfection in 1914. This was thirty-five years after the entrance of the Booted Bantam (a distinctly different breed from the Belgian d'Uccle). I mention this because sometimes the Booted Bantam and the Belgian d'Uccle are confused with one another.

~Alex
Yes, I know. I breed, raise and show d'Uccles.

Technically, they are different breeds. BUT it is in the books that a beardless d'Uccle is a booted bantam. The only difference between the two breeds is lack of beard and bullneck.

Just the same as an Australorp vs Orpington which are almost identical except by body shape alone.

Yes, I know. I breed, raise and show d'Uccles.

Technically, they are different breeds. BUT it is in the books that a beardless d'Uccle is a booted bantam. The only difference between the two breeds is lack of beard and bullneck.

Just the same as an Australorp vs Orpington which are almost identical except by body shape alone.
Just pointing out that since both are separate breeds (though quite similar), and large-scale hatcheries label them as d'Uccles, these would probably? be considered hatchery quality d'Uccles.....not Sabelpoots. Simply being a little technical here. :) I've never seen anyone refer to Australorps as Orpingtons, or vice versa.

Anyhow, I'm finished. :)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom