What Breed(s) Might My Rojo Be?

BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
Hi, guys. I know this young rooster is a barnyard mix. He was given to me after a coyote got my BJG cockerel a month or so ago. Rojo, pictured here, is much bigger than my EE or BA hens; I believe he is even bigger than my BJG was at a year old. Rojo, as far as I know, is about a year and a half old. I'm wondering about his genetics because of (a) his size; (b) the color of his legs, which is either white or light pink; (c) his comb, and (d) his color. I've never seen a comb like his. It's just a mass of points. Is it walnut? Or something else? And he's just orange all over. Not gold or buff like an Orpington. Orange. Like a tangerine. Thanks, y'all, for your help. I quite like this guy.

PXL_20211109_222235559~2.jpg

Your boy is really handsome! If he is also really gentle, you hit the jackpot!
He goes running to see what's up if there's a disturbance among the girls; I like that. And he's very respectful of humans, always moving away from us if we get too close. Wary, I would say. Not panicky, just wanting to ... socially distance, i guess. I like that, too.

Hi, guys. I know this young rooster is a barnyard mix. He was given to me after a coyote got my BJG cockerel a month or so ago. Rojo, pictured here, is much bigger than my EE or BA hens; I believe he is even bigger than my BJG was at a year old. Rojo, as far as I know, is about a year and a half old. I'm wondering about his genetics because of (a) his size; (b) the color of his legs, which is either white or light pink; (c) his comb, and (d) his color. I've never seen a comb like his. It's just a mass of points. Is it walnut? Or something else? And he's just orange all over. Not gold or buff like an Orpington. Orange. Like a tangerine. Thanks, y'all, for your help. I quite like this guy.

View attachment 2893707
Buff Wyandotte crossed with Buff Orpington?

That would be my best guess. Males tend to be more "orange" anyway. In many buff-colored birds.

PS, those are my 12-week old Dominique cockerels beside him in the bachelor pen, for size comparison. My adult hens are in hard molt and don't want his attentions, and the pullets don't need him, either. He's a bit frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom