A friend pulled out the Quail Antwerp Bantam from the woodworks and I didn't even know such chooks existed. :eek:The comb, size and colourations look similar, though the crest and lack of extra poof means she isn't a purebred.
iu

I wasn't saying she was an F1 Silkie and I have seen silkie mixes with 4 toes and smooth feathers before, though often with a beard and often dark face/skin. You also sometimes get silkies with 4 toes from pure silks as a genetic defect.
More on 4 toed pure silkies here
Smooth feathered silkie mixes cannot be F2 or F3 crosses either. She probably has no silkie in her. I for one am not able to tell you what she has, only that it is most likely not silkie blood.

Smooth feathered silkie mixes cannot be F2 or F3 crosses either. She probably has no silkie in her. I for one am not able to tell you what she has, only that it is most likely not silkie blood.
Yeah, the crest is likely from one of the other crested breeds mentioned. The Burmese Bantam's crest and body shape remind me the most of her, but she lacks the feathered legs and from what I see, don't come in her odd wacky colour.

So... I found a pic of mixed breed bantams for sale that look like her, but the ad has expired so I cannot see what they are @_@ Why must the world taunt me so?
iu

Smooth feathered silkie mixes cannot be F2 or F3 crosses either.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say, but it doesn't sound quite right to me.

Silkie x normal feathers gives F1 birds with normal feathers.

For any later generations (F2, F3, etc), if at least one parent has normal feathers, you should get some chicks with normal feathers. 50% or more of chicks will have normal feathers in each generation that has a normal-feathered parent, even if the other parent is a pure silkie.

She probably has no silkie in her. I for one am not able to tell you what she has, only that it is most likely not silkie blood.

I cannot say whether she has any Silkie or not, but I agree she probably has plenty of non-Silkie ancestors as well. I suspect the crest may have come from a Silkie ancestor, given that she is a bantam and not many other bantam breeds have crests on their heads.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say, but it doesn't sound quite right to me.

Silkie x normal feathers gives F1 birds with normal feathers.

For any later generations (F2, F3, etc), if at least one parent has normal feathers, you should get some chicks with normal feathers. 50% or more of chicks will have normal feathers in each generation that has a normal-feathered parent, even if the other parent is a pure silkie.

I cannot say whether she has any Silkie or not, but I agree she probably has plenty of non-Silkie ancestors as well. I suspect the crest may have come from a Silkie ancestor, given that she is a bantam and not many other bantam breeds have crests on their heads.

I still feel her crest is more of a silkie poof than a polish poof.
Whatever she is, she is a beautiful tiny little hen.
20210916_191944.jpg

Back
Top Bottom