What breeds could these be?

mhainz

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 22, 2016
Australia
Hi there.

Well my (hopefully) girls are about 7 weeks old now and I'm wondering about the breeds.

The hatchery from where the eggs came, stock Australorp, New Hampshire Sussex, B + W Leghorns and Lohmann / Isa Browns.

I'm thinking the black one could be an Australorp? No idea about the white one as I haven't been able to find any pics of chooks that look like (hopefully) her.

I don't know why the black one always looks so angry. She's the more affectionate and likes nothing better than to sit on my shoulder.

Did you buy straight run because there is no way that white bird should have been sent to you as a pullet. Red sex links (Lohmanns/ISA browns etc) are bred so that they can be sexed at hatch by colour, so getting an accidental red sex linked cockerel should not happen. Could he perhaps have been a packing peanut or extra free chick, if you did in fact buy sexed pullets? In other words, did you get more chicks than you paid for?

No these chicks were hatched at a Kindergarten program from eggs and i got them at 2 weeks of age. I knew there was a chance of roosters. Was just really hoping for girls...

Yep RSL cockerel. The hen would be mostly red with some white. the cockerel is the opposite. At hatch the little cockerel will be light yellow and the pullet golden to red.

Back
Top Bottom