What could be wrong?

The-White-Elephant

Philippians 4:13
Nov 3, 2021
NC
Her crop appears quite full in the photos. Have you monitored it to see if it's emptying overnight? She may have pendulous crop and it doesn't empty, causing discomfort and even starvation. Read through this and it will help you figure out if a crop issue may be causing her to be unwell. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
🤦‍♂️I knew I was missing something. She does puff up a lot when she stays like that. I’ll *try* to check, she is very skittish.

With pendulous crop, food does go in, but the crop being constantly full, she may not be getting enough to eat since the capacity in her crop is reduced.
Ahh. I’ll check her crop, I hope I can. Will be very hard, especially with the rooster, but I’ll try.

Last edited:
Observe her throughout the day and watch to see if the crop appears to be overly full and hanging low. Compare her profile to the other chickens. Does her crop seem huge in comparison?

The important thing is to take away food and water after she's gone to bed and not let her have any in the morning until you feel her crop to see if it's empty. If it's still very full, she has a crop disorder.

Now, go read the article so you'll know how to treat it.

Observe her throughout the day and watch to see if the crop appears to be overly full and hanging low. Compare her profile to the other chickens. Does her crop seem huge in comparison?

The important thing is to take away food and water after she's gone to bed and not let her have any in the morning until you feel her crop to see if it's empty. If it's still very full, she has a crop disorder.

Now, go read the article so you'll know how to treat it.
Ok, thank you! I looked at her, her crop seems just like all the others’. Couldn’t catch her to make sure though :hmm

Back
Top Bottom