What day is lockdown on a goose egg

This is the egg I am incubating

Attachments

• 20170531_201543.jpg
    20170531_201543.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 31
Day 27! Oh joy! Almost there. Do you see an internal pip yet? You said the draw down is happening, have you seen the shadowing yet? I can upload a video of what that looks like if you can't find it. You usually see shadowing before internal pip...Draw down for my eggs take a day or two before shadowing starts.

It will probably pip internally tonight if you've seen shadowing. If not, then internal pip will probably happen tomorrow. He's going to wiggle quite a bit while he gets into position...It's powerful, you can feel it through the egg, unlike most chickies.

If you are especially worried 12 hours after internal pip, you can make a safety hole for him...It will be a very, very small hole and you must keep the humidity high so he doesn't dry out due to the hole. He can take up to 24 hours after internal pip to externally pip though. And after external pip, he can take 24-48 hours...Geese take a really long time to bust out of there. It's awful and nerve-wreaking. Good thoughts for you and your baby.

Also, if you want him to be sweetest with you but still self-sufficient, I'd grab a friend for him and let him imprint on you and his goose sibling for a while in a brooder. It's really something different when you're the first thing they see right after hatching (and before, if you talk to them...they remember your voice), as opposed to getting them 3 days old from a hatchery. You are definitely right in that you should not let him imprint on you by himself with no siblings though.

If you let him hang out with Lola, watch her and make sure she's nice to him. Goslings can sometimes be really mean to new goslings.

Yeah, geese, especially babies feel really insecure and scared if they're alone. They definitely need a friend at all times to snuggle with.

And let me upload these vids to YT. It might take a while, but I just realized BYC doesn't accept what I have them on right now! I'll put one on of the shadowing and the internal pip.

Back
Top Bottom