What day is lockdown on a goose egg

Hmm yeah it looks like what you posted doesn't really have a lot of shadowing, so no need to worry too much right now if he just started! Expect internal pip tomorrow. What breed is he again? If he's a heavier breed, he's going to take longer than 28 days. I believe my dewlaps took 32. Pyxis gave you some good pics!

Kinda late on these vids but here you go:

An egg without shadowing. The cell is drawn down quite a bit, and a + is marked on (what used to be) the lowest end of the air cell, so I know 1. which way is up and 2. where to expect internal and external pip.

Shadowing becoming visible. Shadowing is when you can see little grey shadows moving above the air cell line. It's different from seeing the baby wiggling below the air cell. You can usually see a little more than this as she gets further along.

An internal pip! You can see her little beak. She's also breathing, as you can see...If you held your ear up to her, you'd be able to hear her clicking. She took a little while to actually start whistling at me.

If you talk to them at this stage, by the way, they will hear you and start imprinting on your voice.

Yay!! Now I'm going to get some things done around the house and wait til my stepfather in law gets up which should be 4 pm my time and see if anything has happened incubator will stay closed for the remainder of the hatch stage unless I have to intervene which praying I don't have to!

Can you see its little bill? Can you see it breathing? As long as its breathing fresh air from the outside (which is what the external pip should give it), it's ok. Goslings will get frighteningly quiet after external pip. They are resting and absorbing the rest of their yolk. They're not quite like a baby chicken, which have shorter periods of rest and make lots more noise. They squeak a lot coming out though.

If you are really very worried, you can do the safety hole, which will at least make it so she has two sources of fresh air should one hole occlude. You have to keep it VERY humid in there after you do that, though.

That egg has kept her safe and nourished for the past 28 days. As long as she has air, she's going to be okay in it a little while longer, don't worry. Sending good energy to you both.

And yes, the peeping (and respiratory clicks) of another embryo and even the vocalizations of the mother will stimulate her to move along. There have been studies done on embryonic communication and its effect on hatching chicks -- It's good to talk to them, and it's even better to have other embryos at the same stage with them. I'm sure Lola's vocalizations could have a similarly positive impact.

Ok guys its 10:09 my time and we have the beak out I see it breathing and picking at the shell pic posted I ended up putting Lola back out she didn't like it in the bathroom but the baby is responding to my voice. I noticed the beak has orange in it so that must be the Tolousse in it. Won't find out how much African it has in it yet

Attachments

• 20170603_220753.jpg
    20170603_220753.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 35
Ooh yeah, get you something good while you wait, haha.

I'm waiting as well, can't wait to see what a qt she is.

Poor Lola! Hopefully she perks up when she sees this gosling.

Back
Top Bottom