What did you do in the garden today?

Part of the reason I talked DH into chickens was the poop for compost, little did I know I'd need a lot more chickens to even make a dent!

That's why I got them. They're great at turning said compost and the only place I get weeds is the garden because they don't get access often.

segregated 3 of the 4 broody hens today to a communal prison as we found 2 dead chicks from last nights hatch. Obviously the chicks didn't do as well subjected to broody soccer as their eggs did.

IMG_20191219_133947645.jpg IMG_20191219_133955688.jpg IMG_20191219_133946554.jpg

Opps have a duplicated image in there somewhere in those thumbnails and I'm not putting on reading glasses to fix it! The cat food was put in there to distract the broody long enough for me to pull eggs and get a couple of quick snaps.

LATE EDIT-I put on those glasses:gig

Good morning gardeners. It was 7F when I crawled out of bed this morning. Suzy Q and her molting sister hen are doing well this morning. I haven't moved them outside the coop yet. The temperatures are just now climbing up to 10F. It's only supposed to get to 17F today but it will be sunny. That should warm things up inside their plastic bubble. My poor houseplants are suffering from the dryness from the pellet stove blasting heat all day and night. I need to give them some love today. Like always, love the green garden pictures. I'm contemplating getting rabbits for their valuable poo. Just don't know what else to do with them. I'm not crazy about rabbit meat, too many bones. I don't find them all that interactive. Thoughts or suggestions? Have a great day everyone

I was going to suggest raising babies to sell or you could raise New Zealand Whites ( a meat rabbit) and sell to people that do like rabbit meat!

segregated 3 of the 4 broody hens today to a communal prison as we found 2 dead chicks from last nights hatch. Obviously the chicks didn't do as well subjected to broody soccer as their eggs did.

View attachment 1984639 View attachment 1984640 View attachment 1984641

Opps have a duplicated image in there somewhere in those thumbnails and I'm not putting on reading glasses to fix it! The cat food was put in there to distract the broody long enough for me to pull eggs and get a couple of quick snaps.

LATE EDIT-I put on those glasses:gig

Is yours frizzle ? I did use rabbit for dogs food but never had them to lazy to have them more work or they smell I am anal about icky smells

No work in the garden today. Our snow is starting to melt, but the ground is still pretty covered. It's supposed to be a high of 52 on Friday and a high of 57 on Monday, so the snow should be disappearing pretty quickly.
Ran a bunch of errands this morning and then met Grandson's bus at 12:30. They had a half day. We went over to my daughter's and he played with her BF's son (2 1/2 years old). Then we all made chocolate chip cookies.
When I got back home I made dinner and then wrapped the presents my Mom bought for my son's kids ( so we can take them down there with us for her. Then I made a couple of batches of Mosaic cookies. They are a freezer cookie made with chocolate, colored miniature marshmallows, nut, an egg, powdered sugar. Then rolled into logs and rolled in coconut and put in the freezer. Once they are hardened, you slice them so you can see the Mosaic window effect made from the colored marshmallows.

Back
Top Bottom