What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Regarding rabbits, I would have to look into the market value of selling in this area. I know the poo would be great, but I'm not sure I can or want to deal with another barnyard critter right now. Suzy Q continues to improve. Even though the temperatures outside yesterday never rose above 19F, the coop and run were around 30 to 32F most of the day. The overnight low wasn't as bad at 11F outside with it being 10 degrees warmer in the coop. It's finally going to get into the low 30s today and with sunshine. The snow has receded enough I can see my heath plants breaking through and looking quite healthy. So that makes me happy. I'm considering getting another black plastic garbage can and turning that into a tumbler composter for the pine shavings and chicken poo. That would hopefully cut down on the time it takes to "cook" the compost and move it to the garden sooner. Today is the big Christmas Party at the Senior Center. I'm excited. The party last year was a lot of fun and the food was really yummy. So I'll be donning my ugly Christmas sweater and heading out soon. Stay warm everyone, keep baking those holiday cookies and have a great day!

We are on a warming trend, which is great! We had the snow, then the cold snap and there has been a huge amount of ice on the roads around here. We left yesterday to go on errands. The easiest way to go to one place was to travel south on our road, so spouse looks at me with a questioning look when I turned north..."uh, the south side of our road is one long and continuous sheet of ice...its BAD...you'll see when we come home" Sure enough, even at 3pm with sun, the south lane was still a long sheet of ice. Glad to see that the next week looks good weather-wise for most of the country so all the travels people are going to be doing should be OK.

When it warms up, we'll be able to get the compost piles turned. @Wee Farmer Sarah , spouse does not want the large compost-turner set up, so we stick with a pile. Would love to use a turner, but no great place to "hide" it out of sight.

Bunnies: we've discussed, but not yet ready for them. Thinking might need to keep them out of doors - I actually do not like the smell of rabbit urine (assuming its the urine that I smell, rather than the poop), but they sure do poop A LOT! Bunny babies do not sell very well here. Have a friend that used to live in the DFW area of TX, and they would raise bunnies to sell for a bit of $$, and apparently it was a good little side business. However, they said the market here is non-existent so they no longer raise rabbits.

We have 4 cockerels that are 22 week old. We are going to butcher 2 of them today or tomorrow and do a carcass and taste comparison. We will butcher 1 BJG and 1 Red Dorking. The BJG live weights are much higher than the Dorking, but the Dorking are known for meat, in general. The BJG have much larger bony frames, so interested to see the quantity of meat as they will get large, but it takes awhile for full development. The BJG are slow to mature and are not crowing or acting hormonal. The Dorking have been crowing for 2-3 weeks and chase the girls some of the time, but the older hens and other pullets chase them away, so am hoping the one Dorking will still cook up ok. We will butcher and let rest for about 3 days before cooking.

We are on a warming trend, which is great! We had the snow, then the cold snap and there has been a huge amount of ice on the roads around here. We left yesterday to go on errands. The easiest way to go to one place was to travel south on our road, so spouse looks at me with a questioning look when I turned north..."uh, the south side of our road is one long and continuous sheet of ice...its BAD...you'll see when we come home" Sure enough, even at 3pm with sun, the south lane was still a long sheet of ice. Glad to see that the next week looks good weather-wise for most of the country so all the travels people are going to be doing should be OK.

When it warms up, we'll be able to get the compost piles turned. @Wee Farmer Sarah , spouse does not want the large compost-turner set up, so we stick with a pile. Would love to use a turner, but no great place to "hide" it out of sight.

Bunnies: we've discussed, but not yet ready for them. Thinking might need to keep them out of doors - I actually do not like the smell of rabbit urine (assuming its the urine that I smell, rather than the poop), but they sure do poop A LOT! Bunny babies do not sell very well here. Have a friend that used to live in the DFW area of TX, and they would raise bunnies to sell for a bit of $$, and apparently it was a good little side business. However, they said the market here is non-existent so they no longer raise rabbits.

We have 4 cockerels that are 22 week old. We are going to butcher 2 of them today or tomorrow and do a carcass and taste comparison. We will butcher 1 BJG and 1 Red Dorking. The BJG live weights are much higher than the Dorking, but the Dorking are known for meat, in general. The BJG have much larger bony frames, so interested to see the quantity of meat as they will get large, but it takes awhile for full development. The BJG are slow to mature and are not crowing or acting hormonal. The Dorking have been crowing for 2-3 weeks and chase the girls some of the time, but the older hens and other pullets chase them away, so am hoping the one Dorking will still cook up ok. We will butcher and let rest for about 3 days before cooking.
It’s really hard for me to turn the piles, so rolling is better for me. There’s no way I would keep bunnies in the house. So I need to research it and see if it’s something I want to commit to. Our warming trend is coming but only up to high 30s or low 40s. That’s balmy after 4F.

Good afternoon gardeners :)

At about 9:30 here there was ice on the ground and patio from filling waterers early this morning. The chicks are out in the sunny areas of the big yard enjoying a little warmth. Guess I'm going to Goodwill after work today to get some old sheets and start covering plants. I also need to go get feed for the chickens today, there were only 2 bags left yesterday but Igor said they were unloading a truck.

I'm enlisting my grandson to pick the lemons this weekend, my dad will be happy to take some home. I've decided to pick the tomatoes and leave the plant for the bees until they stop coming or it dies.

We're expecting cooler temps and rain next week after a weekend at 72*. I've been working on prepping the coop to get it painted tomorrow so I need to stop for a new roller and a pan. Whitewash will be in Spring.

This is my first experience growing potatoes, no sprouts yet :rantI guess I'm going to have a learning curve there.

It's slow at work today, I'm hoping to get off early so I get stuff done.

Have a great weekend everyone:frow

You know when I did brussle sprouts this last year bought established starts lots expecting to loose a few did not loose any but growing the tires not all stalked
was no certain how it all happened they grow a hard wooden almost stalk with each leaf a brussle grows those leaves are integral for the growth also smaller brussle diameter is tastier best method I have found to cook is in the oven 350 about 12 minutes olive oils salt and pepper .. I guess my memory Ma let them get big then like every other veggie she boiled the heck out of them :sick

20191220_132913_Burst01.jpg

First harvest of peas today.

Back
Top Bottom