What did you do in the garden today?

I picked up another wisteria at the farm story today. It was already 5 feet long. One of those dead twigs you buy in a baggie that is supposed to spring to life. Well this one did. No if I can keep it alive. I planted it and another twig along our old hayrack tower. I also hung a bird house that looks like a enameled coffee pot in the center.

I'm infested with house sparrows and chick-a-dees and wrens. I even have two of the twits nesting in the owl house. She's going to be mighty happy when she comes back for the season and there's a pair of snacks waiting for her in the living room. LOL.

Other than that, two grocery trips today. One store was fully stocked (except for flour) and no limits on purchases - which was nice because I was totally out of wheat pasta.

And the other grocery with better prices was out of a lot, but also had limits on things- one per family per day. WHICH is FINE, if you live in the dubdivision around the store and you can send your kid or DH over everyday to buy another 1pound pack of pasta. Not so much if you live 45 minutes away. Oh well. This shall pass.

Feed store. Purina sent the wrong food again. Here's to hoping they get it right next week.

Tomorrow will be 80, remember it snowed Friday.

The two broodies are nuts.

Getting seed in the cells tomorrow!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Today was not productive. Had to go down to the city and run errands. I couldn't BELIEVE how many young citidiots (teenage/college/20's) were not following protocol...just breathing and touching on everything. Young one's too. What the hell are these parents thinking?!? Stuck on stupid...I tell you.

Old person ramble over...got some soil from TSC to mix in with compost. And my park seeds have shipped! I am so eggscited!! Plan on filling containers tomorrow and lining them in flats to prepare for new seedlings. Supposed to get snow Wed and Thurs. Chickens and I are not impressed. Mr. Sophie decides to defy the weather so he can get his daily dose of dog food...

Mr. Sophie and His Dog Food.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners. I feel good that I got some things accomplished yesterday. I dropped off 4 dozen eggs to the feed store. Apparently people are hoarding eggs now and they keep selling out of eggs. That's OK because my hens are cranking them out like crazy. It looks like they are laying everyday now. I planted my peas as well as lettuce, cabbage, carrots, radishes and parsnips. I totally forgot the endive so I can pop them in the ground later today. When I lifted the plastic on that garden bed I got a nice little rush of warm, humid air, so it is staying nice and warm under there. I didn't move any dirt yesterday. My back was still a little achy so I gave myself a day off. I uncovered the dirt so it can dry out a bit. I should be able to get that bed filled up today. I also removed most of the shower curtains from the chicken run. This makes my wee flock very happy because they like to watch "people & cars" TV. Today should be very entertaining for them since it is garbage pick up day. Hopefully my new bird bath will arrive today. I'm so looking forward to it. Great pictures @karenerwin, thank you. Have a great day everyone.

Rained last night, and more tonight. But sunny for the day.

bought 20 bags of manure. We went with Black Kow brand bc it was all composted manure, as opposed to the cheaper versions of manure+compost. We bought 10 bags of the mixed stuff a few weeks ago and it had things that shouldn’t be composted in it - like largish chunks of fiberboard that were still pretty hard to break up despite being in a moist bag of manure/compost for who knows how long. We need to buy a few more bags, but it does look better than the mixed stuff. A couple of the bags had some aroma, but most were fairly odorless.

Need to get a few vegetable starts transplanted up to larger containers. Need to get the pots remixed with better soil, for the flowers on the deck and front porch.

Have made many masks for donation and a few for family. It’s getting harder to sit inside to sew when outdoor work needs to be done during good weather. But more calls for homemade masks, so I’ll work on them as time allows.

NOPE my bees are gone. I looked in yesterday and took out all the old comb, but there were about a 1000 eating the protein sugar I had out. I put in a clean floor.

This morning, early, there were only a couple out, so I opened the hive and there was not one bee in it. Now there must be 2000 bees out there eating and none are mine. Dang it. I do have the swarm box up so maybe they'll decide to come live here after all. At least they know there is food and water here. LOL.

We're expanding our garden this year so I'm doing the painstaking task of removing sod today. Ive got my plants started in pots already but the garden needs tilled still. I'm gonna set up a kiddie pool in an area to kill some of the grass and remove the rest by hand. So far I've done an hours worth of work and have only removed about 8 square feet. It's gonna be a long day :th especially since I can onlh carry about 3 squares of sod in the wheelbarrow before it's too heavy for me. The soil is nice and wet from last night's rain storm so it comes up really easily. Taking hydration breaks of course!🚰

Good morning gardeners. It's been a nice few days. Not much gardening time though, other things took priority for a bit. I sent a couple dozen eggs to work with hubs, some people there have eggs and apparently it's hit or miss to get them from the store. I took a few minutes to cruise through the garden at least. I have a few nasturtiums that have bloomed and a squash flower! The jalapenos aren't doing so well, of course it would help if I got out there to water. Tomorrow for sure. I took a few pics, have a great day!
20200407_091258_HDR.jpg
20200407_091328_HDR.jpg
20200407_091332.jpg
20200407_091421.jpg

Back
Top Bottom