What did you do in the garden today?

We're finally getting regular rain rain here, which my baby trees really need, but not so good for ripening my San Marzanos. The plants have so many nice, healthy-looking fat tomatoes, but they need to hurry up and turn from green to red before the slugs get to them!
Still, I'm really happy with this year's garden overall. I've got about 80 quart cans full of various stuff, plus some frozen soups, with more to come, I hope.

My workplace is doing some renovations and installing new equipment, and today I found out that next week I'll get to take home some big wooden crates I've had my eye on. The smaller 4x4 one I'm going to make into a chick brooder, and the large one 4x12 will be the bare bones of a future goat shed!
tempImageGuKxGd.jpg

Bad garlic news: my order was cancelled bc apparently ALL their garlic crop had quality issues…. Really? ALL?

and it’s sold out everywhere too. I guess I can call the feed store to see if they carry any next month for fall planting.
I've been having a hard time finding shallots. I have an order in but it keeps getting pushed back. Its scheduled to come in like Nov now.

Good morning gardeners. Still rainy and soggy. Got the AC units put away and the garage is ready for the pellet delivery. I managed a 45 minute "free range" break for the girls yesterday, but then the off and on showers got a little too much. We should have better luck today. This morning I picked another bunch of pole beans and a few limas. I think taking a year off from squash might be a good idea @WthrLady. I've never had problems growing summer or winter squash but this year the squash bugs just came out in hoards. My one surviving butternut is likely 1/2 pound but it is ripening. All in all I can't complain too much about this years harvest. I did plant fewer tomatoes and it appears I have overcome the blight issue. But I did can a lot of sauce for the winter. I don't think I'll use grow bags for potatoes, instead I'll just plant them in the back garden every other year. Okra seems to do better in containers in the front yard (although they are still blooming and producing now). Next year I'll try cucumbers in containers or feed bags. Since I'm still harvesting from 5 of my 7 raised beds there's only one that could be put to bed for the season, the last is the asparagus bed and those plants are still growing crazy and swinging their ferns all around. LOL! I'm off to do a little shopping today and look for a replacement for my poor apple tree that died last Spring. Have a great day everyone.

I started my garden layout. I also ordered 2 more 3.5 x 6 raised beds. :lau The garden was supposed to be done but well y'all know how that goes!
Garden math is as real as chicken math.
My workplace is doing some renovations and installing new equipment, and today I found out that next week I'll get to take home some big wooden crates I've had my eye on. The smaller 4x4 one I'm going to make into a chick brooder, and the large one 4x12 will be the bare bones of a future goat shed!
SCORE!!! :thumbsup My garden shed is built out of two shipping crates.
Bad garlic news: my order was cancelled bc apparently ALL their garlic crop had quality issues….
I got my first planting garlic at a local farmstand. Is that a possibility for you? Good luck!

Pouring rain today. I think I'll bake something to help warm up the house.
I did that yesterday, made a cinnamon coffee cake from a box mix and it's so good!
We're finally getting regular rain rain here, which my baby trees really need, but not so good for ripening my San Marzanos. The plants have so many nice, healthy-looking fat tomatoes, but they need to hurry up and turn from green to red before the slugs get to them!
We're supposed to get some rain on Monday but I'll believe that when I see it. I'm so torn though, we really need more rain but my San Marzanos need another month of warm dry weather. Guess I needn't worry since I don't control the weather. :)
OMG that is such a score! Lucky you!
Bad garlic news: my order was cancelled bc apparently ALL their garlic crop had quality issues…. Really? ALL?
I've had a few of my harvest of shallots (the giant ones dang it) go bad on me but so far the garlic is keeping pretty well. We'll see, this was my best harvest of both and they could still not keep.
I don't think I'll use grow bags for potatoes, instead I'll just plant them in the back garden every other year.
Potatoes are more a novelty planting for us, but our bags did pretty well. Not enough for the fall and winter but fun to have successfully grown them.

@Wee Farmer Sarah, we're still waiting on an elderberry from Stark's that's delivery has been pushed back at least 5 times. Current delivery date is about a year from the order date.

Back
Top Bottom