What did you do in the garden today?

Garden tomatoes wrapped in bacon for breakfast.

648AED3E-E1B2-40E9-BC52-03752AB7F6FB.jpeg

Though I do have molting chickens, feathers everywhere, so you must be right!
I am always super optimistic about fall...I adore it as well and crave the few weeks where I can get things done without feeling the prickle of salt dry skin. Hunting season starts soon and my freezer is ready for it lol! Though my veggie freezer is packed with peppers and fruit! I've got a gut feeling that the best part of this autumn and winter is going to be the weather.....ah hoping the honey harvest is good this year too.

82 when I went out at 730 to the garden.

EVERYTHING needed tied up as it had been neglected for two weeks. ALL 100 plants. UGH. Saw a lot of small frass out there, so I'll have to hunt the little green demons soon.

Bunny was out there again chewing on ripe low fruit. He might have to go. Grrr.

I took the scissors to the hoophouse plants. There was no way around it. THey were all hanging over and I couldn't even get inside this morning.

Then the sun came out at 9am and it started getting hotter, so I picked the plants and came in.

Another 10 pounds
Brings me to 31 so far this year

I totally lost the thread but oye vey it's been busy. My husband decided that he wants to try Hill beds (there's a German name but it's too early for me to spell). We were going to tear up one side of the garden for it this weekend but....rain lots and lots of rain until the later hours of the day. I maybe calling it early but sitting on my porch this morning I can feel it. The subtle hints of fall...even my bees are acting like autumn is slowly approaching. It's 70(praise God) out and after a morning hike I will be living in the garden today. Gotta prep an area for the "test hill" and then get straw, dirt and mulch for the rest. Also my giant pumpkin is now probably hitting close to 40 lbs...stem wrapped in foil,straw and cloth bed this year I'm going for broke and hoping for a thousand pound pumpkin. The last one (2019) was only 200 lbs.
I had a similar thought about fall yesterday morning while picking the wild blackberries (got another 1 lb 14 oz). There were a whole lot more bugs on the fruits. Quite a few were either covered in ants, covered in fruit flies, or had a wasp on them. Before that, I'd see a few ants or stink bugs or JB, but yesterday had me thinking that they know fall is coming.

Why do you have the stem wrapped in foil?

Back
Top Bottom