What did you do in the garden today?

My husband and I plugged in the heating mats and started some onion seeds. 3 different kinds from Baker Creek.
I've never started onion seeds before, (besides the bunching green ones) so we'll see what happens.
I had great luck starting and planting onions in previous years. They always grow well.

My Leeks have sprouted!

423D5B47-C498-4D81-8075-56BE87B1BCED.jpeg

6 varieties. Even the older seeds appear to have sprouted.

I’ll buy my onion starts from the farm store- I’ve had good luck with those too. They don’t sell bulbs, they are very skinny plants, that look half dried. I figured since I can’t buy leek starts, I’ll use the space for leeks, instead of onions bc I can buy the onions.

In a couple of weeks I’ll start peppers and tomatoes.

I'm a little jealous @Acre4Me. Laundry and breadmaking today. I'm hoping to get my leeks started today now that the weather drama is over for now. I'm tempted to start with onion seed this year however I would need to buy more starter trays.
I used disposable cake pans for some.

My first Celebrity tomato, I will wait a day before slicing into it. This is a good determinate tomato to plant in a 20 inch container. It gets bushy and grows to about 5 feet. I have some Rutgers determinate starts that I will be planting, so I can compare which one grows better in my yard.

I have just started some new disease resistance Hybrid Brandywise tomato seeds. It is resistant to early and late blight which I have a problem with in my yard. This company charges the same price for shipping regardless of how many packets I order, so its best to get as many as you can if you are thinking about ordering from them.
I will also, be trying the unique dwarf varieties from them......
https://www.fruitionseeds.com/shop/vegetables/tomatoes/slicing-tomatoes/organic-brandywise-tomato/

DSCN0040.JPG

I picked up some seeds and some seed potatoes at the store on... wanna say Saturday? It all blends together, lol. I grabbed a few small bags of container soil, ordered some nice compost, ordered some seed starting domes, and I'll be getting all that going in a day or two. Got a bit of a backlog of regular day-to-day to catch up on first though.

Hobby Lobby FINALLY got some cheap easter baskets in stock. It's just a flexible plastic pail, but it will do for collecting eggs out of the coop. I'm getting an average of 6 a day from 8 girls, they're a year old, well, now! I just boiled up a dozen for hubby, he throws on a little salt, a little pepper, some spices, and a little bit of mayo for instant deviled egg. As soon as I emptied a carton I turned right back around and filled it up again with today and yesterday's eggs. I told hubby we need to sell more. A guy he works with, the guy's brother works in a feed store in the next town over. It's an inconvenient drive for me, but looks like we might set up a eggs for feed trade that's mutually beneficial. So every so many dozen eggs we get a bag of feed that he will probably acquire at a discount.

Back
Top Bottom