What did you do in the garden today?

Goat watch: Day 147 (max). No signs of impending birth today. But, what do I know? I'm new to all this.

Pregnant goats: Lunch on left, rugrats on right. (her right).

This is Roxie - likely a little further along than the other. Her "rugrat" side is next to the fence - she doesn't look too big.
View attachment 3785409

This is Molly: We thought she might be 2-3 weeks behind Roxie, but I'm thinking she might not be too far behind...maybe she'll birth first. She seems a little less big than Roxie.
View attachment 3785408

Apparently, goats wait for the worst weather possible to give birth. So, here is the worst weather in the next week:
View attachment 3785407
Monday looks like a good candidate for a birth day. Kinda chilly, and rather wet considering good rain the day before and lots of rain that day.
Here's my own pregnant girl, Annie... I had 3 dates marked on the calendar based upon my buck breaking out of his pen - March 4, March 26, and April 22nd. I thought for sure she would kid last weekend. Her belly dropped. I swear her bag filled. And it looked like the tendons around her tail were looser... But here we are 5 days later and no babies! :barnie

20240329_192314.jpg

I dug a trench in the new flower bed, added partly rotted leaves and grass clippings, covered and smoothed. I'm thinking of moving my iris there, which have NEVER bloomed where I'd planted them years ago.
IMG_20240329_164917253_HDR.jpg

It's mainly clay.
IMG_20240329_170412571_HDR.jpg

I also pulled all the weeds, mostly Chickweed, from the area where the Rose of Sharon grew.
IMG_20240329_125115026_HDR~2.jpg

I turned over the soil so the leaf mulch got buried. Despite the trees having grown there most of the ground was loose enough to cultivate. I want to plant annuals, and maybe a Clematis. And I splurged on some retaining wall blocks, the same type and color I placed around my Japanese maple. I ordered them online, we'll be picking those up tomorrow.

The chickens loved the Chickweed, which had a few ripe wild strawberries mixed in.
IMG_20240329_123813894~2.jpg

I am getting back into guppies after many years. Bored with the inactivity of foot recovery. I am 72 and got my first guppies in grade school. Starting a daphnia culture for live food. Much easier to raise than brine shrimp. Free start from river water. Any lake or river or swamp has them.
Good luck, sounds fun! 👍🏻

Here's my own pregnant girl, Annie... I had 3 dates marked on the calendar based upon my buck breaking out of his pen - March 4, March 26, and April 22nd. I thought for sure she would kid last weekend. Her belly dropped. I swear her bag filled. And it looked like the tendons around her tail were looser... But here we are 5 days later and no babies! :barnie

View attachment 3785877
She's not nearly wide enough yet.

Went to the podiatrist yesterday. I thought the foot was doing good. DR Debried the wound. Scratched on it and made it bleed. It has been 4 weeks.
High of 67 today. I need to be outside today. I have lost leg muscle strength this month with the foot wound. I need to gain that back.
Try getting your foot in the sun as much as you can. UV is the great healer. The Greeks didn't call the sun Helios for nothing. I've had great success on several wounds, some needed stitches but I sorted them with butterflies and sunlight. Even a few minutes is so worth it.

Try getting your foot in the sun as much as you can. UV is the great healer. The Greeks didn't call the sun Helios for nothing. I've had great success on several wounds, some needed stitches but I sorted them with butterflies and sunlight. Even a few minutes is so worth it.
Good idea. I've had good results rubbing vitamin E oil on closed wounds.

First day without pouring rain so Penny got her walk this morning and I could really tell she'd missed it. Poor thing, she was so wired. When we got home I got to see that the swallows were checking out the birdhouse, good to see the english sparrows didn't get there first.

Dropped DP off at the dr office (regular visit) and picked up 100lb of straw, chicken grit, and it'lldofornow chicken pellets. Stopped at a really nice small local nursery to get some replacement snap peas (dang snails) and some collards. Opened the straw bales in the exposed run much to the delight of the girls.

Cleaned out another raised bed and cut back the sage and oregano. The hens were beyond happy since they got two five gallon buckets packed with weeds, grass, snails, worms, and grubs. It all got mixed in with that straw and will keep them busy for a couple of days.

Finished up with spreading the Sluggo, since there shouldn't be any rain till Tuesday night, it should really thin them out.

Back
Top Bottom