What did you do in the garden today?

I do not EVER want to experience that. When we were in SC living in a mobile home I recall us bugging out once, with cats, dog, children, and we sat in a friend's house for the duration, in her sunken den. While loading up the car the rain was coming down so hard that it left me breathless, knocked the air out of me. The sky was green. The tornado was close but hit Chesnee, a little town just north of us. A friend was spared, his house had minor damage, but the other houses in his neighborhood were flattened.
That is terrifying 😳 I cannot imagine. What's weird is we've had tornadoes around here, but these 2 particular tornadoes occurred during hurricanes. Hurricanes Irene & Sandy. Like we are already stressed from days of preparing for the hurricanes, boarding up stuff, bringing in stuff, etc. Then hunkered down in the house for days of windy rain, then a tornadoes decided to pop up...really? I had No Idea that could happen! When it happens, you're looking out of the window and the constant rain & wind suddenly "change" & you know something is happening, but what...then the window looks like you're inside a car wash, all of the windows look like that, you cannot see anything but a water blur, but you hear a weird sound...like the blender & mixer are on, amplified, then it gets louder, then it along with a high pitch whirring comes a deep rumbling like never ending thunder & it actually seems like your house is inside of a blender. Cannot see diddly squat out any single window, just a very weird, scary, unsettling scenario. It was just my dad & me in the house, and we just walked to the center of the house, saw the watery blur of all windows, heard these sounds as they increased in loudness, and stood there frozen staring at eachother with wide eyes 😳 like thinking...it this it? Are we gonna die today? Then the house rumbles & shutters, feels like it might lift off, actually feel a breeze inside the house & it sounds like windows may have a slight leak that air is pushing through with a high pitch sound...it's the best I can describe it. It goes on for several minutes, the sounds get louder, faster, higher pitched & the house trembles, then it's as if it reaches a high peak then someone turns down the volume & it gets lower pitched...I guess it's moving away now. We can breathe now...didn't even realize we were holding our breath. We just experienced the sounds of a tornado. Kinda wide eyed & shocked...who knew hurricanes produced tornadoes...we sure didn't.
We know now! Then we see the windows no longer look like we are inside a car in a car wash...we can make out stuff outside now, we can see debris all over, siding, shingles...and oh my goodness, a large tree is at the back door...what the heck, it broke a glass top table we just got a mere 48 hours prior, then look out further...oh my, the Magnoila tree is gone...holy crap, that's the tree at the back door now!
Yeah, it was quite an experience. I'm just feeling blessed we lived to tell the tale.

That is terrifying 😳 I cannot imagine. What's weird is we've had tornadoes around here, but these 2 particular tornadoes occurred during hurricanes. Hurricanes Irene & Sandy. Like we are already stressed from days of preparing for the hurricanes, boarding up stuff, bringing in stuff, etc. Then hunkered down in the house for days of windy rain, then a tornadoes decided to pop up...really? I had No Idea that could happen! When it happens, you're looking out of the window and the constant rain & wind suddenly "change" & you know something is happening, but what...then the window looks like you're inside a car wash, all of the windows look like that, you cannot see anything but a water blur, but you hear a weird sound...like the blender & mixer are on, amplified, then it gets louder, then it along with a high pitch whirring comes a deep rumbling like never ending thunder & it actually seems like your house is inside of a blender. Cannot see diddly squat out any single window, just a very weird, scary, unsettling scenario. It was just my dad & me in the house, and we just walked to the center of the house, saw the watery blur of all windows, heard these sounds as they increased in loudness, and stood there frozen staring at eachother with wide eyes 😳 like thinking...it this it? Are we gonna die today? Then the house rumbles & shutters, feels like it might lift off, actually feel a breeze inside the house & it sounds like windows may have a slight leak that air is pushing through with a high pitch sound...it's the best I can describe it. It goes on for several minutes, the sounds get louder, faster, higher pitched & the house trembles, then it's as if it reaches a high peak then someone turns down the volume & it gets lower pitched...I guess it's moving away now. We can breathe now...didn't even realize we were holding our breath. We just experienced the sounds of a tornado. Kinda wide eyed & shocked...who knew hurricanes produced tornadoes...we sure didn't.
We know now! Then we see the windows no longer look like we are inside a car in a car wash...we can make out stuff outside now, we can see debris all over, siding, shingles...and oh my goodness, a large tree is at the back door...what the heck, it broke a glass top table we just got a mere 48 hours prior, then look out further...oh my, the Magnoila tree is gone...holy crap, that's the tree at the back door now!
Yeah, it was quite an experience. I'm just feeling blessed we lived to tell the tale.
That had to be terrible

My peppers spent their first night outside last night. Now they're getting poured on. Loving the rain so I don't have to keep watering.

So I did some pepper starts in peat pellets on heat mats & then did some in the aerogarden - holy cow the aeorogarden ones look so much better! The aerogarden ones are a month newer & are so much bigger & healthier looking. Retiring the heat mats & lights for the seed starter aerogarden tray.

I planted my snake bean plants. Only had 5 germinate - hoping others pop up soon. We have so much fun w these from kids teasing friends to pickling them!
I love zinnias.
Girls and Cluck Norris quickly outgrowing baskets! Need proper tractor very soon!

Attachments

• IMG_7533.jpeg
    IMG_7533.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7530.jpeg
    IMG_7530.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6864.jpeg
    IMG_6864.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 1
Rain broke for a few so I went out to pull all the morning glory vines from the fence (best to do it when wet).

Took a walk thru the garden, I have all the pole beans, the first 2 rows of bush beans & nasturtiums all coming up. I just love how easy beans are - some of these seeds I saved from like 6 years ago & I think every one has come up.

We ran out of frozen green beans a couple months ago.

I'm hoping to get some things in the garden this weekend. We are definitely planning to grow more green beans. Last year I had to replant because I think the ants were killing them, has anyone heard of that? Anyway, I sprayed the replanted green bean seedlings, and they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom