What did your chickens do today?

The girls and boys had a feast today! :) I pulled my collards from the garden and threw them to my flock since they were starting to bolt and were chock full of caterpillars! Such a nice way to get rid of those nasty things! Also it is time to make room for a new seeding for this fall.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Mine had a feast too! Some canned cherries I bought that were too sour for me to eat, and a chopped up hot dog. They are getting fat.

Here are some pictures of her new house. (Just remember I'm no carpenter! lol)
This is Greenie with her feathers almost all grown back on her head.

Her pen from inside the regular run.

All the others are curious about her, I think.

Yesterday and today, she laid an egg IN her new nest box!
thumbsup.gif
Great Job...I'm sure its Shangrila for her :) I think you did and awesome job...

It's been really hot again, and this time with humidity. The hens are just having a lot of wet dirt baths to cool down and lots of water. They all enjoyed watermelon and dried worms. French fries and chopped vegs shared with the local crows! Madonna, my 14 1/2yr old is still getting along with the babies (10months now)...I swear they have kept her alive this past year. She's really slowing down. This morning when I let her out she didn't realize I had opened her gate and kept cooing for me to open it. I had to persuade her by calling her out. Then she was fine. She kind of wanders more now. Not as energetic. She doesn't push her way around much. She enjoys just kind of doing relaxing stuff, like laying on the porch near my back door on the cool concrete. Now and then she will join the energetic others under the Magnolia for a good dirt bath. Love my hens!

It's been really hot again, and this time with humidity. The hens are just having a lot of wet dirt baths to cool down and lots of water. They all enjoyed watermelon and dried worms. French fries and chopped vegs shared with the local crows! Madonna, my 14 1/2yr old is still getting along with the babies (10months now)...I swear they have kept her alive this past year. She's really slowing down. This morning when I let her out she didn't realize I had opened her gate and kept cooing for me to open it. I had to persuade her by calling her out. Then she was fine. She kind of wanders more now. Not as energetic. She doesn't push her way around much. She enjoys just kind of doing relaxing stuff, like laying on the porch near my back door on the cool concrete. Now and then she will join the energetic others under the Magnolia for a good dirt bath. Love my hens!
Thank you! I made her a large waterer yesterday and today it'll be a larger feeder - both 5 gallon buckets w/ holes at the bottom and a tray/trough that it sets in. She went right to the water and had a nice cool drink!

Has Madonna been laying eggs? You are going to miss her when she goes...
hugs.gif
Do the other hens kind of "look up" to her as she is so old and wise?!

Thank you! I made her a large waterer yesterday and today it'll be a larger feeder - both 5 gallon buckets w/ holes at the bottom and a tray/trough that it sets in. She went right to the water and had a nice cool drink!

Has Madonna been laying eggs? You are going to miss her when she goes...
hugs.gif
Do the other hens kind of "look up" to her as she is so old and wise?!
She laid her last 5 in July...I can she is starting molting now. I will miss her tons. Every morning when I go to let her out I think maybe she will be asleep, but now and then she still "crows" to let me know I'm out watering and haven't let her out yet. She's still the boss, but Betty and Boops the 2 1/2yr Barred Rocks are the Bosses now to her, but she is the Queen to LaLa, ChaCha the light brahmas and Jessica Barred Rock, those 3 are just 10 months. She's really attached to them too. Thanks
love.gif

My 4 week old chicks went out to the coop late today, since we were so busy. We don't like to leave them out in the coop while we are not home, as we still need to make finishing touches on the locks for our coop. They pecked and scratched at the dirt, and when we let them out of the coop, they exercised their wings. They are so fun to watch when they try to fly. I just wish we had bugs in our dirt. Our dirt is so dry, I just don't see any bugs at all for them to eat. I need to create good soil so that bugs will want to migrate to it, so our chicks will have something good to eat.

Back
Top Bottom