What do I do with these roosters?!

Lpearl42

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Candler, NC
Good morning lovely chicken peeps! I am running in to a bit of a pickle. I have 6 hens and 2 roosters. All are around 3 months. As of yet, the roosters are not attacking each other but I've caught both of them attacking my hens. I started to post them but it seems EVERYONE is currently attempting to rehome a few roosters. Sadly all of the chickens I had gotten were supposedly sexed (🤦) and I had gotten 10. 4 were roosters. I successfully rehomed 2 already, but the task of rehoming 2 more has become daunting. Any advice about other options? Could I just let them out? I'm not against processing them But I don't think I'm brave enough to do it myself. I looked into it in my area and no one will process a backyard chicken. Any and all advice is extremely welcome. I attached a couple pictures of the roosters and my set up for reference. Thank you so much for your time!

Attachments

• 20230619_182228.jpg
    20230619_182228.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20230619_202610.jpg
    20230619_202610.jpg
    985.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230416_143303.jpg
    20230416_143303.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Just letting them out is rather cruel, imo.
Its the keepers reasonability to care for them till the end, never mind what that end is, and I would much rather give them a quick and kind death, then let them be torn apart by a predator.
If you don't feel up to processing them, could you not put them down and bury them?
I and many others can help with the 'how to do it' if you need it.
I don't have any other ideas, I'm afraid. Cockerels are always a tricky one, and a hard part of chicken keeping.

Just letting them out is rather cruel, imo.
Its the keepers reasonability to care for them till the end, never mind what that end is, and I would much rather give them a quick and kind death, then let them be torn apart by a predator.
If you don't feel up to processing them, could you not put them down and bury them?
I and many others can help with the 'how to do it' if you need it.
I don't have any other ideas, I'm afraid. Cockerels are always a tricky one, and a hard part of chicken keeping.
I certainly would not have been asking for opinions if I thought that that was the right answer. I appreciate your reply and you're absolutely right. I would never want them to get such treatment.

That was literally just my frustration coming into play. I do know that it's to the end and I'm totally fine with figuring out a way to not let them suffer

Have you listed them for free on CL? Where are you located? Often if near an urban environment someone with experience will delight at the possibility of a healthy, well-fed chicken for their family to eat. I would post them, with a focus on identifying someone with that experience. Some people will be concerned that it may attract people looking for cock-fighting birds. I'm not sure how common that is. There are many more aggressive bird types that are regularly on the cock-fighting circuit and i doubt these would be them. My 2 cents

I have. Multiple times. I was actually able to rehome two that way. But nobody wants them. And now that they're literally getting violent, I'm having a really hard time

I sincerely apologize for being so crude. I was just very upset after one of them ripped all the feathers off of the top of one of my hens heads.
I quite understand, and no need to apologize. One gets all kinds of people coming up with different ideas, so I might have been a bit to blunt with my reply.
One idea, could you make a new temporary encloser, where you can separate them away for the hens? That would give you a bit more time to work something out

Have you listed them for free on CL? Where are you located? Often if near an urban environment someone with experience will delight at the possibility of a healthy, well-fed chicken for their family to eat. I would post them, with a focus on identifying someone with that experience. Some people will be concerned that it may attract people looking for cock-fighting birds. I'm not sure how common that is. There are many more aggressive bird types that are regularly on the cock-fighting circuit and i doubt these would be them. My 2 cents
I live in the suburbs/country. We live on seven acres and we're centralized in the middle of it but we have all of the predators. I actually set my coop up for high protection. Because everything is scary around here. For them

Back
Top Bottom