What do you all think about Euthanasia?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by oesdog, Jun 19, 2012.

1. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Songster

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand

You're missing the point.

If he was fit he could do it legally. If someone else does it for him or helps him, it's murder. It's not about nanny state or politics. It's about old laws that some people think should be changed. Please don't divert the discussion to matters that don't apply.

2. Ibicella

Ibicella Songster

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I've watched a lot of death in both humans and animals, and I can say with absolute certainty that I believe quality of life is the most important thing. Natural death is most often a really horrible way to go. I don't fear death...I fear pain and loss of quality of life. That's a very real threat to all of us, so I absolutely want the option of help when I need to be released from this mortal coil. I don't HAVE to take it.

If this fellow is ready to go, then I respect his wishes and think he should be allowed a good death on his own terms.

3. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Songster

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand

I have to agree with the sentiment.

I have seen images of this man when he was fit and healthy and heard about his gregarious character. The prison in which he finds himself now must be a living hell. His wife, who is his carer, must be living a hell of her own. She and his family support his wishes.

4. Delilah1337

Delilah1337 Songster

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    I have always believed in assisted suicide. No one gives us a choice in being born but somehow people feel they have a say in how we die. If a person has decided they do not wish to live any longer they should be able to take their life. Doctors should be allowed to help the person so they do not suffer and make sure they go humanely. We have no right to tell a person they must stay alive until their body gives out just because our society sees death as a terrible thing...
    Boy I could go on about this but I think I will end here

5. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Songster

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand

Once more, this issue is not about your right to kill yourself but about the right of others to kill you. The laws in most countries call that murder and have done for several hundreds of years. People who would like to end their lives because they are intolerably sick or disabled and physically incapable of doing so want laws changed in their own countries so that 'assisted suicide' is legal. The issue is the murder laws, not the suicide laws.

The High Court in London has refused Mr. Nicklinson's doctors permission to end his life at his request. The case will now be subject to an appeal to the Appeal Court, I expect. The next step would be the European Court of Human Rights, I think. This is an important test case that will go the full distance.

I can understand the legal principle that's being upheld and the implications of changing it. However, at the individual level, this man and many others are suffering miserable lives. If those who oppose him were given a similar experience, they may change their minds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19249680

6. The court made the right decision.
    But his own countries court doesn't have the last say ?

[​IMG]

7. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Songster

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand

If you're playing the popcorn game, I won't answer you. If you enquiry is serious, I may.

8. Delilah1337

Delilah1337 Songster

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    I know what you are referring to, that’s why I said I feel Doctors should be allowed to help a person die if that is what the patient wants. If a person is unable end their life humanely it should not be considered murder for them to get assistance from their doctor. I feel sorry for any person who has to fight to end their life when they werent given the choice in being born in the first place.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  9. Freedom- Men have died to give us that right. I want the right to have my doctor, my significant other, my children to let me go, even help me along if necessary.

I have worked my entire life to leave a legacy for my family.

I have instructed my family, if I am wheelchair bound, or especially if I am not within my mental faculties to PLEASE, in a lucid moment get me out to my beloved river, and I will take care of it.

I do NOT want to be in a nursing home where they have my care.... and the cost of doing such, coming out of what I worked a lifetime for.

I don't want to end that way.

I also have no wish to be buried. What a waste of Real Estate. What? So people can visit me for the next 20 years.... maybe?

Take my remains to the crematory.... Ashes to Ashes.... Put my ashes in the river. Come see me there, in nature, where God still reigns in the perfect harmony of nature.

1 person likes this.
  10. I agree you should be allowed to take your own life.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: