What do you feed your dog?

We got our dog Leilani (Lani) for short from the pound 3 years ago I went out and bought science diet She dug a hole and hid it never ate it. So I tried Eukanuba, Iams, Purina (3or 4 kinds) and Natures choice. I tried what the vet here sells (can't remember what) I tried Pedigree and Alpo, She refused to eat any of it. She would eat it if I mixed it with Old Roy Canned dog food and then she still seemed to just lick the canned off most of it. Any other canned food she ignored or would dump the bowl upside down and leave it. She was dragging back dead deer and who knows what all else we found in our yard.

My DH got a bag of Old Roy and I said No way am i gonna feed that to my dog. (We all know all the bad things about it) He said fine, I will and she stood there and ate the whole bowl. That was two year ago and even though I try off and on to get her to eat something else I have given up. Lani eats OLD Roy Because she will eat nothing else.

I felt awful at first but now I figure, she knows what she wants, she knows what she needs and she looks great!

We have tried many, many brands but our dogs actually seem to prefer Science Diet. We buy small puppy bites due to the fact that they are all small and most are puppies.
They will eat Beneful (sp?) as a once in a while change. We learned not to feed soft/canned food. It caused a lot of tooth loss. Dry recommended by our vet as it helps with the plaque. To each their own though.

We switched back in the fall from Beneful to Nutro Max. The dogs love it and it seems to make them less poopy. It hasn't made them less, ahem... pooty, but I think that's more from the rawhides than anything else. As we are 50+lb boxer mixes we eat the large breed formula. Nutro is cool too in that they have a buy ten bags get one bag free deal. Plus they send me coupons for $3 off. They do it for cat food too.

(And we subscribe to the kitty pez dispenser theory as well... ick...)

I didn't think about the rawhides being a culprit! Guinness is an extremely busy year old chocolate lab so he goes through 2-3 rawhides a week. Maybe that is the problem and not the food.

my neighbor just spent over $1000 for surgery on her lab...bowel obstruction...raw hide chewies. Has anyone else ever heard of the raw hide chews being the culprit of obstruction? I am afraid to give my dogs any raw hide chewies now.

I also didn't want to feed Ol Roy to my dogs but that's what they chose and my oldest dog (he'll be 11 in two months) is still going strong and doing great. He's an 80 lb. Shepherd mix and can outrun our six month old puppy.

Our 152 lb. Newfoundland is also doing great on Ol Roy, he'll be 9 yrs. old in two months and isn't having any of the serious issues that large breed, old dogs can have ... yet. He still literally bounces around me when I'm doing chores and he's helping me in the barn.

I do feed Iams puppy food when they are young and switch them over to Ol Roy later. So, in my mind, at least they get a better start with food before going to the Ol Roy. But, what can I say ... they are doing great with that stuff that's not supposed to be so good for them.

I use California Naturals - Lamb and rice. My beagle has skin issues, some days we call her Itchy n' Scratchy. This has no corn or gluten, just Lamb, rice and vitamins. I get it at the Pet Store. WHen I switched her from Beneful i put them both in the bowl and she ate this first.

My rawhide poot factor theory has no real scientific backup. I just notice that on days I give them a rawhide bone that the bedroom is then filled with toxic fumes when I try to drift off that night.

I haven't heard of the bowel obstruction problem. Of course, mine eat everything from underwear to CD cases. I'm not sure if the raw hide will hurt or help at this point.

Back
Top Bottom