What do you feed your dog?

My dogs eat mostly a home made raw diet. The majority of their raw meat is chicken, but also eat beef, lamb, cooked salmon, occasional pork, duck, venison, elk bones. They do get about 2 tablespoons of a veggie/fruit mix puree 4 days per week, fresh eggs, as well as fish oil (sardine or other small cold water fish), kelp, Ester-C, and occasionally some other added stuff.

I also add a bit of kibble, because my shepherd stays too lean on raw alone - but he has serious food allergies (poor immune system in general), and there are very few kibbles he can eat. The cow doggie on the other hand could probably live a long healthy life on corn alone.
lol.png

The kibble I found that works best for my shepherd is the Nature's Logic. They have venison, duck, and chicken. Only grain in the food is millet, which he seems to be able to handle quite well. I rotate between the venison and duck, since they already get plenty of chicken raw.

We had problems with our dogs fighting over food when we fed Innova Evo. They'd always been peaceful, but the recommended amount to feed was so much smaller than what they were on before that they were hungry all the time. I think they went from 5 cups a day of the old food to less than 2 of Innova, and since we feed twice a day it was less than a cup at a time for large dogs. I had to bulk it out with boiled rice which did help but wouldn't have worked on a permanent basis.

That's interesting Cara. I NEVER would have even thought of that. That's a very compelling reason for me to NOT feed that
smile.png
Last thing I need is my guys fighting. *Whew* dane fights are NO fun I can tell you that after 4+ yrs in rescue. My guys are all to where they could eat out of the same bowl if need be...and I like it that way. Only 1 of them is remotely food aggressive and that's only if she's eating in her kennel (weird traits these guys have eh?)

Yeah it was weird and I didn't see it coming. They all have their own bowls but get fed in the same room, and they have a set order of who gets fed first mostly so mealtime isn't crazy. They get into their spots and sit and wait (which is about the only time they are all listening at once!), and nobody puts their nose in anyone else's bowl until they are done and have walked away. When we fed Innova there was a lot of bowl guarding throughout the day. My old Bloodhound was a rescue and had some food aggression, and she would actually lay by the food bin and guard it from the others.

I love that so many people on here know about raw diets! If it wasn't for the fact I'd be contributing to a great (I feel) problem I'd go back to it.
The only thing about feeding the dogs a veggie diet is you gotta remember they poop alot quicker than they do on meat diets! And we REALLY have to remember that with our EB! Its strange since we switched him to the veggie food he has become a little fatty and we have always had a problem keeping weight on him!.

For anyone that might be interested in that diet check out: http://www.vegepets.info/pages/vegetarian_canine_diets.htm#Introduction

And
for all you interested in RAW, this was raw day #1 after a trip to the butcher, weighing and bagging meat:
253779744.jpg

A few years ago, I found that list that texasgirl posted and switched my dog (then a GS) to Solid Gold, WolfKing. He ate less, but was so much healthier and pooped less too... which is always good for a GS to poop less!
lol.png
In the long run, it cost less to feed him Solid Gold then the Purina we were feeding, because you don't have all the fillers and they are getting more out of the food.

Now I feed my Shiba Inu Solid Gold MMillennia and she is very healthy. Nice shiny coat and great body weight.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Are you referring to the care of the animals before slaughter?

I'm *thinking* it might be that her dogs don't do well on meat....

Quote:
Are you referring to the care of the animals before slaughter?

Yes, and the fact some diseased animals go into pet food...along with euthanized pets. Its a sad state of the world when this is what we begin feeding our animal companions.

Back
Top Bottom