What do you feed your dog?

Oh wow....THAT'S why you feed veggie dog food????
Ok...but seriously...the veggie dog food made your dogs fat???? I just realized you said that and my show girl needs weight horribly....*brain fart*

Yes, our Pokey Joe (EB) has actually turned into a chubby beast. And even Bubbles (AB) is looking better. Its so weird, I figured we'd have a period where they might lose a bit for the food change, even tho it was done gradually but the weight problem dogs chunked up!

Wow, I'm amazed how mature this subject has been kept, it always raises a lot of tempers on other websites. Personally I feed a Prey model raw diet, it works for my 2 and is much cheaper than buying comercial food, but if you have a dog thriving on a certain brand of food then you should not feel any different if you are feeding $14 a bag or $140 a bag. My issue is when a company cheapens a food they do not pass on the savings or lie on the label. Costco is a premium brand food in a different bag, Blue charge 250% more!!!!! A meat sorce for the first ingredient will be 60% water unless it says 'meal', by-product is just that, splitting the grains is just another way of saying sweepings off the floor. That said I don't have to do well on it, the dogs do. And only the owners will be the judge of what works.
! thing I have wondered, some mention feeding dog food to poorly chickens, nearly all dog food contains some form of chicken (even if they don't put it in the label) this chicken is usually from less than desirable places (google ' 4 d's of pet food') this protein has been processed and then packaged and then it can be fed to poorly chickens, Just out interest how did BSC come about?.
It just has me thinking we should avoid that avenue if possible.
normal service resumed, happy paw times for all your furbabies.

Oddly enough, we just had our first snarly almost dogfight over food.

Afer reading this thread and the link on Nutro, I decided to switch to Patten's Natural Choice salmon and sweet potato. We've been eating Nutro's large breed. I brought the new bag in , sat it on the floor unopened and went to let the dogs in. Both went directly to the bag, sniffed it all over and proceeded to go crazy. Snarling, fur up, teeth bared. The works. I turned into alpha mom and grabbed them both up by the scruff (no easy feat given that they weight 50 pounds each). Once everyone had calmed down I mixed it with the old stuff and gave them their bowls. They gobbled it up.

It must be good stuff, as they've never done that before.

Natural Balance change ingredients in their food and didn't tell anyone or put it on the label, which is why a few pet supply stores stopped carrying it here.
I'll try to find some info on it.

My wife makes our doberman's food. Once a week. One third chicken, beef, or pork...whatever's on sale. One third rice, and one third veggies...usually frozen peas. This all gets mixed in a large tupperware and sits in the refrigerator. When she gets a serving, my wife adds about a third cup of canned pumpkin as well.

Why do we do all this? Gas! When our dog has regular dry food, regardless of quality... she gets gas. I mean really stinky gas! Leave the room and cover the faces of the children gas! I was getting tired of telling guests that it was me who passed it. :mad:

Quote:
--- I've heard good things about this kibble but have never had the chance to try it---
Don't mean to sound ignorant...but ummm what's 'bsc'??? Only thing I could think of was 'breed specific chat' and that didn't seem applicable...
Thx Kristi

Quote:
If it's working GREAT, but you know, the canned pumpkin ALONE does wonders for dogs GI tracks....like if they are constipated, or if they eat...say a sock (my husband's STUPID dog) it helps to clean them out in a healthy way. Speaking of...it'd probably be a good idea for me to pick some up for my guys b/c I haven't in forever. It doesn't give them to runs or anything, just helps to soften and relieve them.

Possibly Breed Specific Chow? I am at a loss on this one too
tongue.png

Pumpkin is great. I give it to Brooklyn since he has hemorroids and needs a bit more fiber. The bunnies love it too
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom