What do you feed your dog?

I have fed a raw diet since 2001. I "build my own" and most closely follow a prey model. I recently started raising my own rabbits for meat and I am considering getting some ducks as well. Problem is, I am gonna want to eat the ducks!

I used to grind my own veggies and whatnot, but I gave that up a long time ago. I supplement my dogs with The Honest Kitchen: Embark, or Force, and whatever I happen to be eating for cooked veggies.

I breed working-line German shepherds, and have a standard poodle that is a rotten pet. I raise my litters on raw as well.

For me, it isn't that I don't think there are any decent kibbles out there, but for what it would cost me, I can feed a large variety of raw foods at the same price.

I can't forsee going back to kibble. Poo is my main beef. I like the raw diet "remains."

Ok, so as gross as this is I have to ask...........

What is the difference between the poop? Does a raw diet create less waste? Please explain as I have a serious issue with the amount of waste that ends up in my yard, not to mention the attributes that it has. Some are NOT easy to scoop up.

Last edited:
The RAW diet creates less poop and it is less stinky!! Google RAW diet for dogs and you will find all kinds of info. I know what you mean about some of the poop not being good to scoop up. We have 3 dogs and my goodness, I want to switch over to the RAW diet so badly!! (I'm forever poop and scooping,
tongue.png
)

RAW is great for the poop, or lack there of
smile.png
W/a dane for instance you end up w/~beagle sized poops and if left there, they dry up and blow away in the wind w/in a few days.
I really enjoyed feeding a RAW diet, I just came to the point where I realized that w/then 1 & 3 yr old daughters, I was using SO much time, and scooping food out of a bag is just really more convienient & I just had to prioritize my human family *somehow*. I hated switching, trust me.
Also, w/raw their breath doesn't stink, AND is you have nasty drooler/sloshy drinkers (like I do) it's a HUGE + b/c they don't drink NEAR as much H20 b/c SO much is in their food b/c it's not dehydrated kibble.
HTH,
Kristi

I feed mine Kibble. I finally found a food for my female who has skin issues. It's called Avoderm and I use the vegetarian version. She looks great, no scratching, small poo, and the best thing NO GAS!!!!!
big_smile.png
I can only find it at Petsmart up here though, but I only pay $22 for a 17lb bag. It usually goes on sale for just $20 and so it's cost effective for me.
I tried raw but it's not easy to get here and have to ship it in, to me not worth it. Plus food here is so expensive so to make raw for them from the local store is also not worth it. But if you can do it, go for it, it's much better for them.

Quote:
Wow, that stinks! I've never had a problem, they all eat in the same room, and I have pit bulls--so, it wouldn't be surprising if they did fight, given that they tend towards dog-dog aggressive. But I haven't had any issues.

Quote:
My aunt bred danes for years, and she has some stories...danes are great and she rarely had aggression problems, but she has one story about a dog and a daughter of said dog who really had it out for each other...no fun!! But she also has stories like when her kids were little they'd crawl into the whelping boxes and nap with dogs and their litters of puppies...too sweet!
love.gif
We had a dane ourselves when I was teenager, great dog.

Quote:
I thought you weren't supposed to feed dogs pork? Just curious...

I used to feed my dog (lab/aust. shep cross) Pedigree, and his stomach was always bald. I asked the vet about it, he said it was like male pattern baldness. After the dog was diagnosed with hip dysplasia, I swapped him to Eukanuba senior because it has glucosamine. Most of his belly fur grew back. The store where I bought the Eukanuba quit carrying it, so I switched to Premium Edge senior. The rest of his belly grew fur. I finally realized that he actually had symptoms of wheat allergies. All was fine until the cats started getting on the counter and stealing the bread. They would grab it and jump to the floor, the dog would take it from the cats. His belly went bald again. He is now almost 12 and doing great, running like a much younger dog. I have them all on the Premium Edge (it's one of the few higher quality foods available around here).

Back
Top Bottom