What do you prefer and why, Crochet vs knitting?

nifftiness

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Ga
I recently leaned how to crochet and love it. I have never knitted but wonder if i should learn. I think the two knitting needled intimidate me. So im curiouse to hear from people who have done BOTH. Which do you prefer, and why do you prefer the one over the other?

I prefer crocheting over knitting. It is faster and more versatile. You can make pretty much anything in any shape with crochet and not have to think about the pattern. Knitting is hard to make a pattern for. And I am a pretty creative person, so I can make patterns pretty easily.

knitting creature here!
thumbsup.gif

I've crocheted all my life. I knew the "basics" of knitting but in my youth I didn't know anyone else who knitted so I didn't have anyone to go to for help so I had to put it on the back shelf (so to speak). However I finally started knitting this past February and I LOVE it!! While I'm very proficient at crocheting I always wanted to know how to knit so I finally learned. What I prefer about knitting is the detail in design that can be achieved which is richer than crochet.

been crocheting since I was 10, tried knitting but just can't get the tension right, if I need something knitted like a cuff, I use a knitting loom or find a way to crochet it

Last edited:
You should try knitting and see how you like it. I like both. I tend to like knitting a little more, as far as how I feel when I'm doing it. Really, though, it just depends on what I'm doing.

For a fabric type of item, like a sweater or afghan, I like the way knitting looks more than crochet. There are people that prefer the way crochet looks. It just depends on what you like. I think the items are warmer, because the fabric is more solid than most of the open, decorative crochet stitches that are used. The decorative knit stitches are attractive, plus still just as solid and warm as plain stitches. I think socks feel smoother when knitted, compared to crochet.

If I want something lacy, then I much prefer crochet. You can do a knitted lace, but crochet is so much easier and better looking. I like it for lacy clothes, shawls, light afghans, pillowcase edgings, curtain edgings, snowflakes for the Christmas tree and doilies. I like fillet crochet and the pictures you can make, although I haven't done much of it. My great-grandmother used to crochet fine lace for pillowcase edgings, which got me interested in laces. That may be why I think knitting is more relaxing, I'm not trying to do it with tiny thread.
lol.png

Crochet is also great for making round things, like cat beds and rugs. Or 3 dimensional things like dolls or stuffed toys.

My grandmother knitted and crocheted, too. She knitted me mittens whenever I outgrew them and crocheted a lacy vest for me. I have little knitted and crocheted Christmas tree ornaments from her, too. She always crocheted her afghans. Sometimes it's handy to use both in a project. You can knit a sweater and crochet a lace edging at the sleeves and bottom edge. You can knit a sweater or afghan and crochet them together, instead of sewing them together. It's much faster.

I knit and crochet, so of course, I think that you should learn both! I think that knitting is a bit less forgiving of errors than crochet is, however, the drape and feel of the finished article is worth the trouble. For making something without a pattern, such as a baby sweater, hat, or stuffed toy, nothing beats being able to "make it up as you go" with crochet.

Chel

Quote:
Agreed! I have crocheted forever but knew I would eventually also knit. I love to craft so I knew it was just a matter of time. Last year I bought a Teach Yourself to Knit book. Taught myself to knit...no sweat. Although I don't use this talent much, I recently decided that I just had to learn how to knit socks. So, with the help of a friend, a dvd, and a youtube clip, I am now about 8 inches into my first sock on two circular needles.

I will try to remember to snap a pic or two.

You should learn both to decide for yourself. I do both and I continue to do both, it depends on the project. I find for socks, hats and gloves etc I like knitting more. For blankets, ornaments and a few other projects I prefer to crochet. I would do either for a scarf - it would depend on the pattern I wanted and the yarn.

I find that knitting has more flexibility than crocheting.

I currently have a club kit I get every month and each month every project can be done with either knit or crochet. I do which ever I think looks better. The socks, I knitted, the little wash cloths I crocheted.

Have fun!

Oh - and as Majestic Lane Poultry has said - look out for socks. I have become a knitting sock addict myself.

I knit and my desire/skill for crochet is enough that I can do an edging on a knitted garment if a pattern calls for it. Personally, I don't like crochet, but I have tried it and I think that if you have any desire to try something new then you should go for it. Having the ability to both knit and crochet opens you up creatively.

Back
Top Bottom