What do YOUR guineas like to eat? (was guineas -- feeding, treats?)

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

So Wal Mart might have some? I have some Parakeet food for my quail and I tryed to feed some to the guineas and they gave me that "Are you trying to murder me?" look!
roll.png

LOL too funny!

My silly guineas follow me everywhere, jumping in any feed bucket I set down, etc. I know they are looking for food from me, they just don't LIKE anything I give them. I'll have to try some of these suggestions here and see if I can find something besides llama food for them. Wonder if I should stop the watermelon (sigh) since I want to grow it next year.​

Quote:
LOL too funny!

My silly guineas follow me everywhere, jumping in any feed bucket I set down, etc. I know they are looking for food from me, they just don't LIKE anything I give them. I'll have to try some of these suggestions here and see if I can find something besides llama food for them. Wonder if I should stop the watermelon (sigh) since I want to grow it next year.

Try giving them scrambled eggs or some pan cakes or scratch or something?

ours likes to eat scrach witch is cracked corn with sunflower seeds they love it they try to fight when they get it though because they want the piece the other one wants so be carefull

For a treat mine like crackers, saltine or ritz. Also they like eating biscuits, on fact one of the boys' name is Biscuit.

White millet and black oil sunflower seeds. It's about $7/25 lbs at the feed store here, sold as "Wild Bird Seed". It does have some red millet as well. I don't know if they eat that or not.

Mine love bananas, watermelon, squash, cabbage, cucumbers, strawberries , crack corn, sunflower seeds, wild bird seed , rice and scrambled eggs.

I'll try the scrambled eggs as soon as eggs aren't so precious around here. My scratch is red millet, cracked corn and boss -- thats the one they peck at a little. I gave them biscuits this mornng and they gave me the "you're trying to kill us!" look LOL. But something big buzzed in and they were on it like a flash. I guess mine are just bug hunters but I'll keep trying. There won't be enough bugs through the winter to sustain them.

They are COOL birds though.

Mine wait til the Missus feeds the cat on the porch with dry cat food, then as soon as she goes back into the house they chase off the cat (poor excuse for a mouser) and eat her cat food. They seem rather annoyed if I disturb them at the cat bowl.

I guess i am one of the lucky ones, my guineas will eat just about everything, I feed them layer pellets in the morning and everynight to get them into the coop i throw in a couple of handfulls of scratch and they go crazy for it. They will eat scrambled eggs, white millet, grapes,and most any bug that is stupid enough to let them catch it. They will also kill and eat small snakes if not too big.

Back
Top Bottom