What is happening to my chicks?

I thought chickens with coccidiosis would have bloody poo and such but I haven't seen any red or abnormal coloring in their poops and all my other chicks have been full of energy. Is there any certain sign to know if it is coccidiosis?
They don't always have bloody poop. You can spend a bunch of money to take a chick to the vet to get a fecal test done. Or you can spend like $16 and treat them with corid. You will have to treat the entire flock and they can't have another water source during the treatment. Don't provide any vitamin supplements either. The thing about corid is it wont hurt your chickens and if they get better and stop dying you will know it worked :)

When my chicken died of it none of the other birds showed symptoms. I had chicks at the time that had been with her and I treated them all at the same time. She was too far gone when I started so she died but the chicks are all full grown laying hens now.

It depends on which strain of nine coccidia that target chickens. Not all cause bloody stools. If you wait for positive proof that this is coccidiosis you will lose all your chicks. It won't harm your chicks if this is the incorrect diagnosis.

Amprolium is merely a thiamine blocker. It's not an antibiotic, although your chicks that are dying could benefit from it.

They don't always have bloody poop. You can spend a bunch of money to take a chick to the vet to get a fecal test done. Or you can spend like $16 and treat them with corid. You will have to treat the entire flock and they can't have another water source during the treatment. Don't provide any vitamin supplements either. The thing about corid is it wont hurt your chickens and if they get better and stop dying you will know it worked :)
Thank you for the advice! Only one made it, she was eating in the beginning but the others were too lethargic. Another one was actually cheeping quite a bit and was strong enough to make his way to the water but when I came back to check on them his head was drenched and by that time he was acting like the others and became very lethargic.

Thank you for the advice! Only one made it, she was eating in the beginning but the others were too lethargic. Another one was actually cheeping quite a bit and was strong enough to make his way to the water but when I came back to check on them his head was drenched and by that time he was acting like the others and became very lethargic.
I'm a bit confused. None made it?

If you still have chicks alive, then I agree, I would treat for Coccidiosis asap.

Sorry about the losses, I agree it sounds like coccidiosis due to the lethergy, weakness and puffing up before they passed. Chicks will succumb to it much faster than adults, which is why a lot of us keep Corid on hand when there's chicks, as they can go downhill in just a few hours.

I'm a bit confused. None made it?

If you still have chicks alive, then I agree, I would treat for Coccidiosis asap.
There were four that were puffed up and only one made it. I heard medicated chick feed was created to help with coccidiosis, do you think switching them to medicated feed will help?

Where did you get the chicks? Are they vaccinated? Medicated feed may help but as said above it won't hurt them to treat.

Since taking them outside have you i troduced grit to them. Even if your giving the chick feed they will need grit if outside. Just because they will eat other things and the grit helps grind those non chick feed items such as bugs down.

Have you changed their bedding?

Where did you get the chicks? Are they vaccinated? Medicated feed may help but as said above it won't hurt them to treat.

Since taking them outside have you i troduced grit to them. Even if your giving the chick feed they will need grit if outside. Just because they will eat other things and the grit helps grind those non chick feed items such as bugs down.

Have you changed their bedding?
I got them from some random people selling them, I am pretty sure they are not vaccinated. I change their bedding every week or two.

One of them recovered though. Can chicks with coccidiosis do that? I have some more chicks that are puffed up but the survivor from yesterday is full of energy.

Back
Top Bottom