What is my Muscovy drake doing to my Muscovy hen?

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
5 Years
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Hello all, I have 7 Muscovies, 6 hens and a drake. Well, the hens don’t let my drake mate them. Anyway, yesterday I noticed that my drake cornered my chocolate hen and ran his bill down her back, but if she would try and get away he would catch her again and do the same thing until he was done. What is he doing? I’m very confused and this is my first flock of Muscovies as I mostly raise Indian Runners with some other breeds.

Here’s a picture of what he is doing. And why won’t my hens let him mate?
73C709AF-630A-4AB9-A249-F9E575339C9D.jpeg

I was sitting out with my muscovy yesterday and watched my female groom my drake [touching him with her bill]then he would do it to her, it was so sweet. I kept thinking they may not have feelings like us humans but what I am watching is pretty close to love.

I was sitting out with my muscovy yesterday and watched my female groom my drake [touching him with her bill]then he would do it to her, it was so sweet. I kept thinking they may not have feelings like us humans but what I am watching is pretty close to love.
Hi @Miss Lydia , I know exactly what you mean! I wish I had had the camera because the other day I also witnessed pure ducky love. The parents to all the ducklings were by the edge of the pond caressing. It was so beautiful to see them. The female usually doesn't care for the male to bother her, but this day they were both truly lovey ducks. It was all touching bills and rubbing necks. Just beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom