What is the breed/ gender?

ftfarmer22

Songster
5 Years
Mar 3, 2016
Oregon

Hello everyone!! Update on speckled Sussex pullet. she is now almost 12 weeks old. Here is a picture, she has grown a lot more speckles over the past 4 weeks.

I am really curious on what breed my 7 week old chicken is. I'm thinking either brown leghorn or welsummer, but I'm not sure. Also, I am having SO much troubled sexing this chick. I see pretty decent sized combs but they are super pale, and for that reason I think it's a girl, but want to make sure. He/she is so sweet and is one of my favorite chicks. I'm wondering if the pretty big combs are a gene that this breed has? Here are head and body pics of the chick.

Definitely looks like a hen to me too. She looks very similar to our barnevelders though. (Don't count me on it though xD)

Hard to see well in the dark photos, but I think it a Speckled Sussex....and agree looks to be female.

Not a Barnevelder...hens would have gold flecking in their chests right now and gold flecking/lacing on black on their body....no white spots.

Not a Wellie either...that would have salmon chest, no white spots, with partridge back, and yellow legs (I am seeing beige).

So I think she is likely a Speckled Sussex (better photo in good lighting of full profile would be certain).

LofMc

Last edited:
Yes definitely agree with you all. I looked up speckled sussex at 7 weeks and I can certainly tell that's what she is, which is SO exiting for me because I think speckled sussex are beautiful chickens. Thank you all so much for your help I really appreciate it!!! I am so happy she is a girl!!
big_smile.png
I will be sure to post pictures of her in a few weeks to show you how much she's grown. Thanks again everyone!

-ftfarmer22

Back
Top Bottom