What is this on my goose??

Heathermc12

Hatching
Jun 7, 2023
I recently discovered this lump above my goose eye. Initially it was smaller than this and I found it about a month ago. I figured it was a sting of some sort but it’s been about a month later and it’s bigger. I found a similar lump just like it on his neck too. These are wiggly and not firm. I’m wondering if it is a tumor or an abcess/cyst of some sort? Is this something I can handle on my own or should a vet take care of it? I want to add he acts totally normal. Eats, drinks and swims as normal. I’d also like to add I don’t have any farm or avian vets within a 300 mile radius - only normal vets who have seen one of my ducks before but are essentially clueless. I’d also like to add that he’s not aggressive - but extremely loud and scared around other people and animals so getting him to a vet would be a scene.

Attachments

• IMG_7415.jpeg
    IMG_7415.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7416.jpeg
    IMG_7416.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7412.jpeg
    IMG_7412.jpeg
    810.2 KB · Views: 13
what a pretty boy. to me it does look like a cyst like humans get sometimes too. what worries me is that it's so close to the eye. i'm certain that @Goosebaby or @Miss Lydia will drop by soon with more help than i can give.
There is one just like it on his neck area, I did attempt to drain but nothing really came out only a little bit of blood. (I sprayed it with vetericyn and used plan antibiotic cream)

Does it feel like it has pus in it? I know you said the one on the neck didn't have anything in it. I'd be reluctant to try and drain the one at the eye. Will he let you do warm compresses? maybe with some Epsom salt mixed in? Just use a clean wash cloth put it into the warm Epsom salt water wring out so it isn't dripping and lay it on the area. Try it 3-4 X and see if it helps at all. There is probably info online on how to treat a cyst.

Does it feel like it has pus in it? I know you said the one on the neck didn't have anything in it. I'd be reluctant to try and drain the one at the eye. Will he let you do warm compresses? maybe with some Epsom salt mixed in? Just use a clean wash cloth put it into the warm Epsom salt water wring out so it isn't dripping and lay it on the area. Try it 3-4 X and see if it helps at all. There is probably info online on how to treat a cyst.
I’m not sure if it feels like it has pus, but at the very bottom underneath the lump there’s a black dot which I’m unsure of what is can’t tell if it’s a feather or not I just see a black dot. I didn’t see anything like that on the chest one. Im going to try to find a vet within 2 weeks because I’m about to be out of town - but I’m more so concerned with a tumor possibility. I know none of us our doctors but what does this appear to be to you?

I really don't know it could very well be a cyst but since it is so close to the eye I do think it would be better to have a vet look at it. Even a dog and cat vet should be able to diagnose a cyst. Since dogs and cats can get them too. If he is acting normal eating drinking and interacting with the flock, then I'd think you are safe to wait 2 weeks unless it was to grow and start covering the eye then I'd be very worried.

Back
Top Bottom