What Made You Get Your Chickens?

The female Sun Conure that is perched on Skip's shoulder...

SpiceGirls093.jpg

We found her in a newspaper ad, Skip fell in love with her, we brought her home. The first couple of months were fine as Skip had time to work with her. When he started an odd-hours 2nd shift job, the trouble started as he didn't have the time for her. I'd worked with her some but she was definately Skip's bird and she could care less that I existed (except at feeding time, of course).

Once he started having less time for her, she decided to take it out on me. Everytime I'd walk past her cage she's aim and squirt at me...making a direct hit one too many times! (It's funny now so it's okay to laugh...
lau.gif
)

I decided that if I was going to be you-know-what on, atleast we should be getting fresh eggs to eat too! So after a 20 year break from my first flock we ordered 25 day-old chick from McMurray Hatchery and the rest, as they say, is history!
cool.png

Dawn

Back in 1992 the island I live on was destroyed by Hurricaine Iniki. The resulting weeks of recovery, fresh food was at a premium. We had always had wild chickens running around the island, but after the hurricaine all the coops had been destroyed and there was alot of domesticated chickens loose. The wild chicken population just exploded after that.
One day after a long day of cleaning up I noticed a chicken that kept going under my front porch. I looked under the porch and there was a nest with about a half dozen eggs in it. I grabbed all but one egg and had the best tasting egg omlet for dinner that night. That chicken kept on coming back under my porch to lay eggs and I kept on enjoying fresh eggs to go with my MRE's and spam. After about a month of that the hen got smart to me stealing her eggs and went off to look for a safer place to have her nest.
I will never forget how good those fresh eggs tasted, especially when faced with MRE and canned food for months on end.
When things got back to normal and my house got rebuilt, I built a coop and got my first 4 RIR so I can always have fresh eggs and even meat if my family is ever faced with another disaster.
RIR led to austrolorps, which led to barred rocks, which led to me having too many chickens, which led to to rehome a bunch to my friend who now has chickenitis too
big_smile.png
A disease I'm proud to have passed along.

Aloha,
Cory

Hey, I never thought about great that would have been to have chickens after hurricane Katrina. We had 19 people staying in our home and we all emptied out our freezers and ate what we had. It would have been wonderful to have fresh eggs every morning!

I met a women from AOL journals who made me insanely jealous by posting her beautiful baby chicks and chickens all the time and I was hooked! I had to get my own because she was FAR to far away for me to enjoy hers
sad.png
My babies won't be here till May 23 and I'm very excited to get started
smile.png

well we used to always get pullet chicks 2 at a time and raise them till they grew up and them give them to the petting zoo and start again. but after we moved to the ranch, we kept the hens and bought a rooster, and the rest is history.

aloha Cory
I was in Kauai for new years this year with my whole family. I loved all the chickens running around, of course I had to buy a Kauai bumperstickers with a chicken on it!

OH, what inspired me to get chickens was finally moving to the country. I had wanted chickens for about 15 years. So I had a lot of chicken decorations to try to passify me. I lived in the country for 1 year and then ordered the real deal.

We bought our 5 sex links for several reasons....eggs, fun with a pet, hobby, self-sufficient, and national emergency. Pretty much in that order. 150 years ago, chickens were the difference between life and death in some places. Not many animals can give food that goes from nest to frying pan in minutes, with minor preperation.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom