What treat did your chickies get today?

Wonder if they have any free stuff.

Every local grocery store tosses a ton of day old produce in their dumpster, it's just a matter of working out a deal with the manager and/or store owner to 'remove' it for free... Most will tell you no right off the get go due to policy or fear, but if you are persistent you might be able to find one that is willing to let you take it away, a 'won't be used for human consumption' waiver helps...

I made a killing at the local grocery today and got a bag of bananas for .99 cents. They were just 'ripe' so half went into the dehydrator six went into the fruit bowl and the one that had a bruised spot on it went to the chickens. They loved it. So funny to watch them gobbling down 'nanner' with it squishing out the sides of their beaks.

Later they had raw oatmeal and a slice of bread.

Every local grocery store tosses a ton of day old produce in their dumpster, it's just a matter of working out a deal with the manager and/or store owner to 'remove' it for free... Most will tell you no right off the get go due to policy or fear, but if you are persistent you might be able to find one that is willing to let you take it away, a 'won't be used for human consumption' waiver helps...

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to ask around! Although ours never used to sell the old stuff and probably threw it away like you describe but last year they started selling the older/damaged/past date stuff for half price or cheaper than that. So they may not now :/ though surely they still toss some stuff

Zucchini & Yellow Straight Squash (I got a whole crate of them) from a local grocery FREE. Not sure where they come from at this time of the year
1f914.png

Zucchini & Yellow Straight Squash (I got a whole crate of them) from a local grocery FREE. Not sure where they come from at this time of the year
1f914.png

Probably Mexico, around me the stores get a vast majority of the produce from Mexico now especially out of season stuff, thus my never ending supply of plastic and even wood produce crates as it's not worth the cost to return them to Mexico so they are considered disposables while US suppliers generally use the nicer IFCO returnable/reusable crates...

My chicks got thawed frozen peas and butternut squash. They of course acted like I had set a dish of exploding poison in front of them at first. All gone when I came back to check on them though.

My chicks got thawed frozen peas and butternut squash. They of course acted like I had set a dish of exploding poison in front of them at first. All gone when I came back to check on them though.
big_smile.png
Mine love anything that is veggie/fruit oriented. The exploding poison for mine if of all things worms. When I turn over portions of the run I always find huge nightcrawlers, my girls run in terror
roll.png

Today, Kale, cracked corn and BOSS.

Back
Top Bottom